43.

"No."

Meredith was sure that she had never uttered the same words so many times in one day. For some reason, all of Derek's sisters thought it was essential that she wear a fancy, expensive dress, with layers of lace and beads and...she wasn't sure what else. They'd spent all day in the dress store so far, and it was well into the afternoon. Meredith had at first tried to appease Nancy and Kathleen as they suggested dresses that she hated on sight as Caitlin squealed in agreement with her eldest sisters. It was only after a slight breakdown and a threat from Liz to kick both of her sisters' asses that they calmed down and allowed Meredith to try on only the dresses she thought had potential to be the one.

Addison sighed as she moved to undo the lace ties that had the sparkling dress supported on Meredith's body. "Mer, we've been at this all day," she sighed.

"I know," Meredith replied. "And believe me, I'm just as frustrated as you are."

Addison shook her head as Meredith stepped out of the dress. "Maybe we should go to another store," she suggested.

"This is the best store in town," Meredith replied. "And I just want something simple. Doesn't anyone wear simple wedding dresses anymore? I mean, seriously, what's with the lace and the layers of undergarments? I just want something simple, silk and one layer..."

"Hey Mer," Liz said as she slid in from the curtain. "I think I found your dress."

"Well, I think I trust you more than those other girls I call bridesmaids," Meredith sighed. She unzipped the bag to reveal a simple silk dress, thin straps running over the hanger. "Oh," she breathed, turning to look at Liz. "You are so my new maid of honor."

"Hey!" Addison protested. "I've been pulling you in and out of these dresses all day."

"And complaining about it," Meredith teased. "I think I want someone who cares enough to find me my wedding dress."

Addison rolled her eyes. "If it weren't for me, you would never have even given Derek a chance," she muttered. "What thanks do I get?"

Meredith giggled as she stepped into the dress and allowed Liz to zip it. "Of course you're my maid of honor, Addie," she said. "We've been friends for years."

"Good," Addison nodded. "Oh, Mer. That's it."

"Hmm..." Meredith nodded, turning to look at her back in the mirror. The straps formed a cross over her back, and the fabric pooled in a soft train behind her, long enough to be noticeable but not to cause problems with Meredith's somewhat klutzy tendencies. "I love it."

"Let's show them," Liz said, grabbing Meredith's hand and pulling her into the waiting area where the other three Shepherds were waiting.

"Meredith, you look beautiful," Caitlin exclaimed, running up to examine her future sister in law up close.

"Derek's going to go crazy," Kathleen nodded in agreement. "It's perfect, Mer."

"Are you sure?" Nancy tilted her head to the side. "It seems...plain. Maybe if you just add some lace trim to the bodice."

"Seriously?" Addison interrupted. "This is the dress. It's perfect. Nothing is going to be changed, and we're going to buy it today. Meredith loves it, Derek will love it, and that's all that matters."

Meredith smiled as she turned back to look at her best friend. "You are so my maid of honor again," she announced before moving back to the dressing room to change and preserve the sanctity of the dress until she was sure would be the best day of her life.

After she had returned in her street clothes and paid for the dress, choosing to place it on hold until she could find an appropriate hiding spot where Derek couldn't see it, Meredith turned to her bridesmaids and smiled. "What now?" she asked.