56.

Derek groaned as he rolled over in bed, unsure of what had woken him. He'd been sleeping soundly for once, and then all of a sudden he was wide awake for no apparent reason.

He reached over to cuddle with his wife, hoping that her soft breaths would lure him back to sleep, but instead found an empty bed and the reason he was awake. With a sigh, he sat up and rubbed the sleep from his eyes, frowning when he heard the soft murmur of the TV drifting upstairs from the living room. He sighed as he swung his legs over the side of the bed and made his way towards the stairs, determined to find out exactly what his wife was up to.

She'd been distracted over the past week or so, and he knew she was trying to decide what to do about her future. She was freaking out, just like she always did when any big change was about to occur in her life, and he couldn't help but hope that she would decide to go to med school with him, if for no other reason than he would actually have someone he knew he could count on there with him.

"Hey Mer," he said softly as he walked into the dark living room, with only the TV providing light.

"Derek," she jumped as she turned to look at him as he sat down beside her on the couch. "What are you doing up?"

"I was lonely," Derek said softly as he leaned forward to take her hand. "What are you doing up?"

"I'm watching these old surgery tapes," Meredith replied, her eyes sparkling. "My mom's about to do a stand still surgery. And in this one," she continued, holding up another tape. "Your dad cuts a man's brain in half. In half, Der."

Derek laughed as she rambled about the surgeries she had just watched. Obviously she was getting the same feeling he got every time he watched a surgery. "I remember, Mer," he said. "So does this mean what I think it does?"

"It means," Meredith sighed, taking a deep breath. "That I want to be a doctor. I'm going to med school, Der."

Derek smiled warmly as he leaned forward to kiss her. "Congratulations Mer," he said. "You're going to kick ass as a doctor."

"I hope so," she whispered. "I'm still scared, but...I want to do it. I don't want to back down just because I'm scared, because I think this really is where I'm supposed to be. Maybe it is because of my mom, but it's who I am. So I'm going to do it."

Derek smiled as he reached to tuck some hair behind her ear. "I'm glad," he whispered. "Can we go back to bed now?"

"No," Meredith giggled as she leaned for the remote. "I have to watch the end of this surgery."

"Mer, you can watch it in the morning," Derek sighed dramatically, leaning into her. "I'm tired."

"Then you go back to bed," Meredith giggled, pushing him off of her. "I'm going to watch surgery."

"I can't sleep without you," Derek replied.

"You're pathetic," Meredith rolled her eyes.

"That's mean," Derek frowned.

"So is talking through my surgery video," Meredith replied. "Now I have to start it over."

"No," Derek insisted, reaching over to scoop her off the couch. "No more surgery. We're going to bed."

"Derek," Meredith giggled as she wrapped her arms around his neck. "I'm not sure I like this."

"What, me being romantic and sweeping you off your feet?" Derek asked as he tossed her gently onto the bed.

"No, you kidnapping me and putting me in bed," Meredith giggled. "I could press rape charges."

Derek rolled his eyes. "Of course," he said. "Because everyone would believe that."