52.

Derek took a deep breath as he stood at the front of the makeshift alter. White folding chairs were set up in the garden of the church where he had grown up. Mark was standing at his side, and his mother was smiling proudly from the front row, Kathleen at her side. Derek swallowed hard as he looked towards the end of the aisle, where Caitlin was beginning to make her way down the aisle and he could see a flurry of activity through the flaps of the white tent set up.

He watched as each of his sisters made their way down the aisle, smiling softly at each of them as they moved to stand on the opposite side of the altar. Addison stepped out of the tent as Liz stood at the altar, and he heard Mark inhale a sharp breath from beside him as he laid eyes on her. Addison glanced over her shoulder for a moment before she made her way down the aisle, her eyes locked with Mark's. Derek kept his eyes focused on the tent, waiting impatiently for Meredith to step into his sight.

When she finally did, he felt his breath catch in his throat, and suddenly every fear, every tiny doubt he'd had in his mind completely vanished. All that mattered was the amazing woman in the white dress, walking towards him with a small smile as she clutched the bouquet of lilies in her hands.

She was amazing.

When she was close enough, he took a few steps forward and offered his hand, smiling widely as she laced her fingers through his.

"Hi," she whispered, stepping closer to him and resting her forehead against his.

"Hey," Derek whispered, his eyes locked on her. "You look amazing."

"So do you," Meredith whispered back.

"Hmmm, let's get married."

"Okay," Meredith giggled as he led her to the white archway where the Shepherd family priest stood, waiting to bless their marriage. She handed her flowers to Addison then turned to smile at him, gripping both of his hands tightly in hers.

"We are gathered here today..."

Derek didn't bother listening to the words as he stared at Meredith, her fingers laced tightly through his. As he stared at her, he couldn't remember why only moments before he had been freaking out about this. There was no way he could live without the woman in front of him, without her amazing giggle and her ability to make him see the world in ways he couldn't by himself. He needed her, everything about her.

"Derek and Meredith have decided to write their own vows for one another," the minister continued, shaking Derek from his reverie. "And it has been requested that Derek go first."

Derek wondered briefly when and why it had been requested that he speak first, but his quickly shook his head, trying to remember at least some of the vows he had spent weeks preparing. He looked down into her eyes, smiling slightly before he inhaled deeply.

"Meredith," he said, her word coming out in one soft breath. "Meredith, there are no words to describe how I feel about you. You have been such an amazing part of my life for the past four years, and I know that without a doubt you have made me into the man I am today. I'm proud of who I am, Mer, and even though you're probably going to roll your eyes and think I'm saying that to be cocky...it's not true. I'm proud of who I am because you made me this way. You bring color into my world, and while I see things in black and white...you help me to see the rainbow. I love you so much, Meredith, and I honestly don't think that anyone has ever felt this as strongly for another person as I do for you. So today, I want to promise you forever. No matter what happens, no matter where life takes us, I will always love you. Forever and always."

Meredith swallowed hard as she looked up at him, squeezing his hands as she willed herself not to cry. She couldn't ruin her make up now, not before she had to say her own vows and take pictures with her...husband.