49.

"And now is the time that we are truly released into this world. We go today, with our degrees and the friends we have made for life, into the real world where we can truly make the difference this world needs..."

Derek half listened to the speeches given at the graduation ceremony, his eyes instead fixed on the girl five rows ahead of him. Even in the sea of black gowns and graduation caps, he could still pick out Meredith's form from everyone else, and he had spent most of the ceremony watching her, smiling as she shifted her legs, crossing one leg over the other and then switching, fidgeting slightly as she adjust the robe.

They were graduating college today, and soon the next big event in his life would be his wedding. He still couldn't believe he was getting married, and he couldn't wait.

"And now we would like the graduates to stand to receive their diplomas..."

Derek sighed as he stood with the rest of the class, moving towards the stage. He stood still for several minutes, waiting as the first half of the alphabet was called onto stage to collect their diplomas. He smiled softly as he heard Meredith's name called and she walked timidly across the stage. He could practically see her telling herself not to trip, and he flashed her a grin as she sought out his face in the crowd.

"Man, this blows," Mark sighed from behind him. "I can't believe we have to sit through this while every damn name is called.

"It will be over soon enough," Derek sighed, smiling as Addison walked across the stage.

"And then we can have some fun," Mark nodded.

"Shut up, Mark," Derek said, almost automatically, taking a deep breath as the S's began to be called to the stage. "Derek Christopher Shepherd."

Mark laughed as he shoved Derek up the stage to the stairs, following himself as his own name was called moments later.

After they had received their diplomas, and the ceremony had come to a conclusion, Derek immediately set out in search of Meredith. She must have been doing the same thing, because less than a minute later, she had thrown herself into his arms.

"I didn't trip," she giggled as she pulled back to press her lips against his. "Did you see me not trip?"

"I did," Derek laughed. "You were amazing."

"We graduated," Meredith laughed.

"We're officially med school students now," Derek said, squeezing her tightly before he let her go.

"And the next thing we're going to do is get married," Meredith giggled.

"Hmm, I can't wait," Derek nodded, leaning down to kiss her again.

Meredith kissed him back, only pulling away when she heard Mark's laughter and a flash went off in front of them.

"Hey!" Derek cried, frowning at Liz as she lowered the camera, the rest of his family already gathered around them.

"Sorry, Derbear," Liz giggled. "You were too cute to let me pass that up."

"Derek," Emma smiled widely as she pushed her daughter aside. "I'm so proud of you."

"Thanks, Mom," Derek said, hugging her tightly.

"Your father's proud of you too," Emma whispered in his ear. "He's here, Derek."

"I know," Derek nodded, swallowing hard.

Meredith squeezed his hand, and he smiled down at her. "Alright, let's get some pictures taken," she said. "It's going to rain soon and I so don't want to be out here for that."