14.

"Meredith, this looks wonderful," Meredith heard her mother say as she poured the spaghetti sauce over the noodles in the pot. This was really the only thing she knew how to cook, and she wanted to make it for her mom so they could have some semblance of a normal evening together. Her talk with Derek that afternoon had left her inspired to do something meaningful for her mom, and she hoped this would work.

"Thanks," she said softly as she put the plate onto the table. "I, um, I know you're busy, but I was thinking that we could at least eat dinner together."

"I'd like that," Ellis said as she sat down. They ate in silence for a few minutes before Ellis said, "Tell me about college."

"It's really good," Meredith said with a nod as she reached for another piece of garlic bread. "I'm doing well in all my classes and I really like them. I love neurology."

Ellis nodded. "I'm proud of you, Meredith," she said. "I know I haven't been the best mother, but you have turned into a wonderful young woman despite of that."

"Thanks, Mom," Meredith said, blushing slightly.

"I have something for you," Ellis said suddenly, putting her fork down and disappearing out of the kitchen for a moment. Meredith sat awkwardly at the table for a few moments before Ellis returned with a large box in her hands. "I know I missed a lot in your life, Meredith," she started. "And I do regret that. But I hope this lets you know how much you mean to me, and even if I wasn't there, I did pay attention to your life. And I kept everything, here in this box."

"Mom," Meredith breathed as she opened the box and smiled softly. On top was her graduation announcement, and as she kept digging she found more treasures representing her life; her college acceptance letters, her certificate proving her passing the driver's test, various awards and certificates, everything all the way back to self portraits in kindergarten. "Thank you," she whispered.

"You're welcome," Ellis offered a rare smile. "Meredith...things are going to get difficult for you soon."

Meredith nodded, trying to fight back the tears that were threatening to fall. "I know," she replied.

"I want you to know that you don't have to worry about anything," Ellis continued. "I'm going to be moving into a retirement home, where they can take care of me. I've also spoken to my attorney, and he's going to make sure that your tuition is paid on time for college and med school. And the rest of my money is going to be put into accounts you'll be able to access when you're twenty one."

"Mom, I can't," Meredith started, but Ellis stopped her, leaning forward to rest her hand on his.

"Meredith, this is important," she said. "Consider this me taking care of you for the first time in a very long time. You need to be prepared for what's going to happen."

"Okay," Meredith whispered, tears in her eyes.

"I know the time we have left won't make up for anything, but I was thinking that maybe we could spend the evening catching up, watching movies?" Ellis suggested meekly.

Meredith was surprised for a moment, but quickly agreed. Her mother had never been one to sit still and socialize, let alone watch a movie, but she was going to take it. Ellis was certainly acting better, and she had to cherish the time they had together.

XXXXX

Derek woke up the next morning and immediately frowned as he realized that his arms were empty. After a moment, he remembered that he wasn't in his dorm and that Meredith wasn't with him. He sighed as he flopped onto his back, staring up at the ceiling. It had taken him forever to fall asleep the night before without his girlfriend in his arms, and now he was awake after only five hours of sleep because somehow that girl had managed to completely ruin him and not let him sleep by himself anymore.