21.

Meredith giggled as she slid into bed behind Derek, wrapping her arms tightly around him. She'd managed to sneak out his grasp earlier that morning to get things ready, but now it was time for him to wake up.

The past few weeks had been absolutely amazing. She'd gone home with him again for Thanksgiving and enjoyed meeting his older sisters and the rest of his extended family, and all the fears she'd had about their relationship were essentially gone. She had learned how to just enjoy being in love with her amazing boyfriend, and she couldn't wait to spend today with him.

"Der," she whispered in his ear, gently nibbling as she ran her hands up and down his back. "Wake up."

"No," he whimpered, moving to pull her close. "Sleep."

She giggled as she leaned over him, her hair falling around her face and tickling his chest. "Wake up," she repeated.

"Hmmm," Derek murmured, already half asleep.

"Der..." she whispered, leaning close to his ear. "Happy birthday."

Derek's eyes opened slowly and he looked up at her with lazy eyes. "Thank you," he whispered.

"Now get up," Meredith giggled, sitting and pulling him with her.

"I don't want to," Derek replied stubbornly.

Meredith giggled as she ground her hips against his. "It looks like part of you is already up," she observed.

"It is my birthday, you know," Derek observed.

"It is," Meredith nodded. "And I made breakfast."

Derek frowned. "You made breakfast?" he asked. "Did I sleep through the fire alarm?"

Meredith reached out to slap his bicep. "Don't be an idiot," she said. "I made pancakes. Without your stupid Shepherd secret, I might add, and they're delicious."

"The Shepherd secret is not stupid," Derek said. "And if they're not black, I'm sure they're very good."

Meredith slid out of bed and reached for her robe, bringing a plate of pancakes back to the bed for him. "Happy birthday, Der."

He leaned up to press his lips against hers for a moment before he looked down at the golden brown pancakes in his lap. "They actually look good," he stated.

She rolled her eyes as she reached for her own plate. "Thanks for the confidence," she said.

He laughed as he took a bite. "You're amazing, Mer, you know that," he said. "But I've been trying to teach you to cook for months and you never cared."

"Well, this is special," Meredith shrugged. "It's your birthday."

"It is," Derek nodded. "The best birthday ever."

"You woke up five minutes ago," she stated.

"Yeah, but no one's ever made me breakfast in bed before," Derek shrugged. He paused for a moment, then shook his head.

"What?" Meredith asked, reaching for a piece of his bacon.

"Nothing," Derek said. "I was going to say something, but you'd just roll your eyes and tell me I'm lame and corny, so I'm not going to say it."

"Tell me," Meredith giggled.

"No."

"I'll give you a kiss."

"No. But you can give me a kiss anyways."

"I won't give you your presents unless you tell me."

"Maybe I don't want them.