87.

Derek stared at his wife as she polished off the last of his cheesecake. He'd offered to take her out for a nice dinner when she'd realized that her nice dresses were not going to fit for very much longer. And now, two hours later, he was surprised that she hadn't already popped from all the food she had just consumed.

His wife had always had a healthy appetite, but he'd never seen her eat as much as she had in this meal. Four bread rolls, an entire steak, her baked potato and half of his, as well as her chocolate cake and his cheesecake had all somehow made it into his wife's stomach, and as she polished off the last bite, he briefly wondered if it was possible that she was eating for more than two. Possibly six or seven.

"Done?" he asked with an amused smile.

"Hmmm," Meredith moaned. "That was the best dinner I think...ever."

"I'm glad," Derek smiled as he pulled his wallet out, throwing some bills onto the table as he stood. "Ready to go?"

"Ready," Meredith nodded, taking his outstretched hand. He pulled her to her feet, and shook his head as he stared down at her. "God, you're hot, Mer," he said.

Meredith giggled as she leaned into him. "Are you expecting me to put out, Mr. Shepherd?" she asked.

"I'm sure hoping for it," Derek laughed, pulling her closer to him. "What do you think?"

"I think," Meredith whispered in his ear. "That there's a very real possibility that I spent a ridiculous amount of money at Victoria's Secret, purchasing lingerie with a much larger cup size than I previously have."

"Oh," Derek moaned, shifting uncomfortably on his feet. "Home. Let's...home."

"Later," Meredith nodded, pulling away from him. "First I want desert."

"Desert?" Derek frowned as he followed her out of the restaurant. "What was the chocolate cake? And the cheesecake?"

"Warming up," she shrugged.

"Well...what's the sex then?"

"That's your desert," Meredith giggled, brushing a hand over her stomach. "Baby wants ice cream."

"I think our baby is going to be fat," Derek laughed, resting a hand on her stomach as well.

"Excuse me?" Meredith asked, pushing his hand off of her stomach and stepping away from him.

"Crap," Derek muttered. "Mer, that's not what I meant. It's just...baby's hungry. That's good, it means he's growing."

"But you think he's growing too much," Meredith stated. "He's making me fat."

"I never said that," Derek shook his head, reaching for her. "Come on, Mer, I'll get baby's ice cream. And then we can go home and have our own desert."

"I'm not really in the mood anymore," Meredith whispered, crossing her arms over her stomach.

"Mer," he breathed, reaching for her. "Don't do this. I'm sorry, let's just get back to our date."

"I don't want to," she shook her head, turning to walk towards their apartment.

Derek sighed as he moved to catch up with her, wondering when he would learn to stop talking. Meredith was right, he was a complete and total idiot. Only an idiot would utter the word fat within hearing distance of his pregnant wife after she'd promised him a night of hot sex. Idiot.

"I'm going to see if Beth's home," Meredith muttered as she stopped outside of Beth and Nathan's apartment door. "Go on home. I'll be there later."

"Mer," Derek breathed.

"I'm fine, Derek," she rolled her eyes.

Derek sighed as he moved to their apartment, letting himself in and heading directly towards the bedroom. He shook his head as he pulled his coat off and threw himself onto the bed, inhaling Meredith's scent as he buried his face in her pillow. He was going to have to figure this out. Somehow, he had to figure out how to be able to handle the mood swings, because he was reaching the end of his rope. No matter what he did, his wife got mad at him, and he just wanted to feel that he wasn't completely useless in her life.