57.

"So you haven't completely cut yourself out of the world yet," Beth stated as she and Meredith climbed the stairs to their floor of the apartment building.

"Not yet," Meredith sighed. "But it's only been a week. Once there are tests and clinicals life will get crazy."

"Well, I'm personally very glad that you're still able to have a life," Beth smiled as they stopped outside of her apartment. "Because that means that we can still go shopping and have girl talk without hearing about sports and beer."

Meredith giggled. "It was fun," she said. "I'll see you later."

"Bye Mer," Beth smiled as she let herself into her apartment.

Meredith made her way down the hall, shopping bags in hand as she dug through her purse for her keys. Since Derek had been at class this afternoon, she and Beth had gone shopping to relieve themselves from some of the stress of starting school again. It had been good to get back into the real world, to have some girl bonding after spending almost all of her time with Derek.

She unlocked her apartment and stepped into the foyer, stopping when she saw the dimmed lights, the table glowing with candlelight. "Derek?" she called, setting her shopping bags on the floor next to the door.

"Hey," he called, stepping out of the kitchen.

"What's going on?" she asked, stepping forward to kiss him.

"Date night," Derek whispered against her lips. "Have a seat, Mrs. Shepherd."

Meredith giggled as he walked her over to the table, pulling her chair out for her. "Thank you, Mr. Shepherd," she said, leaning up to kiss him. "What's for dinner?"

"Hmm...wait and see," Derek whispered. "I'll be right back."

Meredith smiled as she looked down at the table. A bottle of wine sat in the middle, and she reached for it to pour a glass for both her and Derek. She glanced into the kitchen and when she saw Derek's back turned, she snuck a piece of garlic bread, shoving it into her mouth quickly as he turned to walk back to her.

"Don't pretend you didn't just steal a piece of bread," he laughed as he placed a bowl of chicken fettuccini on the table. "I know you too well, Meredith Shepherd."

Meredith swallowed the garlic bread and grinned sheepishly at him. "I'm sorry," she said sweetly. "Do you still love me?"

Derek laughed as he set her plate in front of her. "Of course," he said, pressing a quick kiss to her lips. "Go ahead and eat, I know you're probably starving."

Meredith grinned as she dug into the food, moaning in appreciation as she took her first bite. "God, Derek," she said. "I'd marry you again just because of your cooking."

Derek laughed. "I'll remember that," he said, reaching forward to squeeze her hand.

"I love that you started our date night today," Meredith smiled. "I wasn't expecting it."

"I promised you I'd do it," Derek laughed. "Didn't you believe me?"

"Of course I did," Meredith sighed. "Just not this soon."

"Well, every Friday, we'll be here," Derek smiled. "Or...at a fancy restaurant in the city."

"Or dancing?" Meredith asked, leaning forward eagerly.

Derek winced. "Mer..."

She giggled. "It's okay, I know you don't dance," she said. "I was kidding."

"We could dance," Derek said, placing his napkin on the table as he stood and walked over to the stereo. Meredith watched as he switched the radio on and turned to her, opening his arms. "Care to dance?"