25.

Meredith sighed as she set her hot chocolate on the table in front of her, cuddling into Derek's arms the next night. They had gotten home from church about an hour ago, another first for Meredith, and the rest of the house had retired early, preparing for the early rise they would have to face the next morning. Derek and Meredith, however, had opted to stay downstairs to enjoy the crackling of the fire and the sparkling lights of the Christmas tree a little longer.

"So what do you think of Christmas so far?" Derek murmured into her hair.

She sighed happily as she wrapped her arms tighter around him. "Not too bad," she murmured back.

Derek sighed happily as he ran his hands lazily through her hair, trying to imagine if there was anything in the world that was better than this very moment. For the life of him, he couldn't think of anything. This was perfection.

Meredith shifted closer, practically sitting in his lap by this point as she tightened his arms around her. He knew she was enjoying herself so far, and he couldn't believe the overwhelming love he felt for the tiny woman in his arms. As he felt her chest rise softly against his, he knew this was the most amazing moment of his life.

They stayed silent for a long time, cuddled together as they watched the fire burn down to ashes. Neither wanted to say anything for fear of ruining, the perfect moment, and they were both content to sit together.

After several long moments, Derek pulled back and looked at Meredith smiling softly as he brushed some hair behind her ears. "I want to show you something," he said softly. "Come here."

Meredith frowned as he tugged her to her feet and led her to the Christmas tree. "What are you doing?" she asked.

"I want to show you this," he said, moving to sit on the ground next to the tree and pulling her down with him.

Meredith sat down hesitantly, but he smiled encouragingly at her as he lay down under the tree. "Come here," he repeated. "It's one of my favorite parts of Christmas."

Meredith followed him, a smile immediately gracing her lips as she stared at the lights and the ornaments twinkling through the branches of the tree. It was almost magical to see the way the light played with the branches of the tree, and she was quickly convinced of why this was Derek's favorite parts of Christmas.

"Oh, Der," she breathed. "This is...amazing."

"Hmmm," Derek breathed, turning to look at the wonderment on her face. "It's beautiful."

Meredith could feel his eyes on her, and she turned to look at him with a smile on her face. "You're not looking at the tree," she said with a laugh in her voice.

"I know," Derek said, reaching down to thread his fingers through hers. "And you're beautiful."

She smiled softly as she shifted closer to him. "I love you," she whispered.

"I love you too," Derek replied, wrapping an arm around her.

"And I...I think I'm starting to like Christmas," she whispered.

"I'm glad. I knew you would."

They laid together under the tree for a few more minutes before Derek pressed a kiss to her forehead and whispered, "We should go upstairs soon. We'll get up early."

"How early is early?" Meredith murmured as he stood and helped her to her feet.

"Ummm...five?" Derek suggested.

"Five?" Meredith repeated. "Maybe I don't like Christmas that much."

"Yes you do," Derek rolled his eyes. "It won't be that bad."