Prologue

Kana POV:

I sat at the dresser, momma was showing me how to style my hair from now on. Tears streaming down my cheeks. Nesta stood in the corner hiding little Elain behind her. I could tell baby Feyre was getting heavy in her arms. 

"From this point forward you are to always cover those damned ears- KANA! Are. You. Listening?" Mother said flatly, like I was a pawn in a game long since played. 

"Yes." I said and bobbed my head in submission. My mother smacked the back of my head, the pop echoing across the room. "Be respectful Kana, as the eldest you must set an example for your kin." Not sisters, kin, like they were her pawns two. I bobbed my head again, "My apologies mother. Yes, Mother I understand." I most certainly did not understand. 

Baby Feyre wailed, she was starving, from my mistakes we all missed lunch. I needed to get them food. Mother darted out of the room not paying her own daughters any heed. As soon as the door slammed I was off the stool and over to Nesta. My other half, my twin. 

I took Feyre from her arms and bobbed her up and down.  Nesta was clutching Elain's hand, big budging tears sat in her eyes. I smiled and cooed at her, "Don't cry it'll be okay. Momma was angry at me not you."  

She sniffled and nodded her head, Nesta wiped her tears away. Nesta said softly, "They're hungry." 

"I'll sneak down into the kitchen and get you all food." I declared. Nesta frowned, her eyes piercing my soul. "If you get caught Momma will beat you again." 

"She won't catch me." I said, passing baby Feyre back to her. I ran over to the door and tested it, mother indeed locked us all in my room. Frowning, I closed my eyes and imagined my self as a ghost. I could be heard by the word, but never harmed by my mothers beatings. A hopeless dream. I opened my eyes and phased through the door, I could almost feel Nesta burning gaze through the door. She hated me using my gift. 

Nesta said it would only give Momma more reason to hit me. But I couldn't care less, my siblings weren't starving, they were healthy. Mostly because of the gift I had. I darted past a mirror. I paused and backed up to look again. My ears were covered, completely. I frowned and tucked the loose strands behind my delicately pointed ears. 

A curse my mother claimed. One of her mistakes, were my unspoken words. I phased my head through a door, to make sure no one was in the room. I stepped wholly through the door, and phased through the floor. I landed on the kitchen island. I scrabbled quickly, making Feyre's bottle and sandwiches for Elain and Nesta. 

"So you do exist." A soft, harsh voice called. I whirled and saw a teenage looking boy towering above me. i swallowed my fears down my throat and murmured, "Please don't tell momma I'm here." 

The tall boy chuckled, "I won't tell if you don't tell anyone I'm here either." I nodded my head quickly and used my phasing ability to jump up on the counter. I snagged an apple from the fruit bowl and shoved it into my dress pocket. 

"What is your name little sister?" The boy asked as he scooped me up and set me back on the ground. I grumbled, "I don't have a brother, I have three sisters." 

He fingered my ghostly white hair and said, "And who told you that?" 

"My momma!" I exclaimed. I realized I left the plate and bottle on the counter. "Um sir, Can you hand me those." I pointed. He smiled again and chuckled, he quickly handed them to me. I walked over to the wall balancing the sandwiches so the didn't fall. 

The tall boy asked me, "Mind telling your name now child?" 

"I'm Kana." I smiled, i glanced at him again. "I hope to see you around..."