Chapter Thirty-Six

Kana's POV: 

One spy elected to stay in the castle. While the others spread out, looking for blueprints to an ancient thing long lost. The first day after the ball, I buried myself into books, barely taking any breaks for the four days I was cooped up in the library.

When I wasn't taking a short nap, or had my face buried in a book. I was sparring with my spy, training my body to be as strong as possible. On the fifth day, Xer dragged me out and forced me to eat, claiming something I didn't bother to listen to. I ate one meal, then went back to the library. Where my spy was waiting, he had set up a meeting with Rhysand.

The sixth day rolled around, pain was evident in my face. The first of the many fae period cycles had hit. I had gone without a period most of my life because of the sickness. Perhap that was a blessing, because the fae cycles were so much worse.

Two days later, on the ninth day. With a pounding headache, a broken heart, and a will to fight. I forced myself to winnow to the Mountain Palace of Night Court.

Azriel appeared shortly after, no explanations were given, he didn't blink twice at the Armor I had borrowed from Dione. The only thing he did was winnow us into Velaris.

Feyre saw me first, she looked like she wanted to say something. Yet the dull blank look made her rethink, and instead she said nothing at all. Azriel showed me to the dining room where Rhysand was waiting.

"The Bone Carver said he would only talk to you." Rhysand spoke harshly. Feyre had gotten over what had happened, Rhysand clearly had not. I nodded letting him lead the mission. The Silence purred in my ear, and the ghost from my previous visit kept running a soothing hand up and down my spine.

"You will leave in a few minutes, Cassian is going with you." The High Lord of Night Court declared. I nodded again, the stone face refusing to falter. Leaving him and Azriel to discuss what they needed to.

Amren glared, she pointed to a chair, blood glass in hand. "Sit."

I sat. Arguing with anyone from Night Court didn't end well, ever. Especially the overprotective demon mother. She sighed, "Kana what the hell is wrong with you?"

"Lots of things." You will go where I need you to be. I added, "This is where I am needed."

Aldrich and I argued for hours about this, eventually the ghosts shielded the room from the rest of the family. That fight had happened on the fourth day after the ball, Aldrich and I haven't spoken to one another since.

She glanced and murmured, "What trouble did you get into this time?"

"Other than a war with Hybern?" I said flatly, eyes simmering with the hint of rage. Her lips pressed together and she sighed, leaning back in her chair. Amren's average gray pants and cropped gray shirt shimmering in the light.

"Az said they were calling you by your father's surname now." Amren declared softly, her eyes cold yet filled with something lighter. I explained, "Would you rather I use Archeron and draw the attention of the entire world to Night Court?"

The Ancient One shook her head and sighed, "Rhysand thought you were possessed when you walked in with that look."

"Maybe I am." I claimed. Amren snorted and shook her head. Possessed by a fucking bargain with the Mother yeah maybe. The mark burned in warning. She frowned, "I sensed that bargain mark."

"Good," I snapped, her eyes widened. "Then you know to not ask questions and stay the hell out of it."

Amren frowned and sipped at her blood. Cassian came in and declared, "Rhysand will winnow us to the base of the mountain." He quickly glanced between Amren and I.