Chapter Twelve

Kana's POV: 

I sat reading. Stuck in the silence that seemed like it was haunting me. Nesta burst open through the doors. "Why didn't you tell me?"

"We didn't know if she'd approved the request." I said flatly. I was tired, and wanted to be left alone. Why, why, why? The questions were driving me crazy. I understand that people don't like not knowing what's going on. I just wish they would stop questioning my judgement.

"You should have told me." Nesta snapped. I slammed my book closed, "I should not have to remind you that questioning your superiors is not the rout you want to take."

Nesta sniped, "And if your superiors are wrong?" I felt the ice cover my heart. I raised my chin, "If I am so in the wrong, Nesta, then why haven't you held a coup against me yet?"

Nesta snarled, "I didn't mean it like that-" I fumed, "Yes, General Nesta, You did mean it like that. So tell me why you question every damned order I give you? If I didn't tell you it was because you did not need to know."

Nesta opened her mouth and shut it. I reopened my book. I said frowning, "See yourself back to your legion General." Nesta left slamming the doors behind her.

I sighed. Was I truly that bad of a General? Did I need to be cooped? I shook my head, Feyre and Nesta were both questioning my authority. I guarantee that they won't be home tonight. The shadows curled around my feet.

One of the daemati spoke into my head, Where do you want the prisoner? I frowned at their words. Bring him directly to me on the estate.

I set my book down, and used my arms to push me from the chair. Hava was there seconds later, "You don't need to be standing."

"I really don't need people telling me what I am or am not capable of." I declared flatly. Hava pressed her lips together and nodded. The doors opened and he was shoved into the room.

I snapped, "Why is his head covered, and why are those chains on?" The guards looked half disgusted. "He's the prison-" I frowned and waved my hand in the air. The guard silenced. I ordered, "Unchain him, and for mother's sake get that hood off his head."

They yanked the hood off his head first. His dark skin was pale from the tales I heard over the years. His amber eyes were dull. Clad in his white and gold attire he seemed to glow, with an inner light the dark queen had not smothered.

The soldiers took the chains and walked out of the room. Shutting it rather loudly behind them. I apologized, "I am sorry for the bad circumstance Lord Helion, my soldiers should have known better."

Helion gave away nothing, "You are High General Kana." I nodded and kept my features soft. Helion glanced to Hava, "It has been an age, I wondered where you disappeared to Hava."

Her voice was dull, "I needed to get out, besides the human-lands needed the protection." I glanced between the two as they continued their staring contest. Helion turned his gaze to me, "Why am I here?"

I shrugged, "One step closer to winning the war." Helion frowned, not impressed. "And we figured who better to scare the hell out of Amarantha and her wards than Helion Spell-Cleaver himself."

The Lord's face was still stone. I sighed, "If you do not wish to be here High Lord I am sure your court has already heard of your freement. I am sure we could convince Hava to winnow you home?"

"I have my powers back that would be unnecessary." Lord Helion straightened his jacket. I blinked, "So the curses are bound."

Helion nodded. He glanced around, "You have a very nice home, here High General Kana." I smiled kindly at him, I motioned with my hand. "Please call me Kana."