Chapter Forty

Kana's POV:

Once upon a time, there was a huntress with an artist's soul. There was a human inside of a female body. A pair of twins, who would be and have been separated far too many times.

But in the beginning and in the end, there is darkness, nothing more. For the better of all, they pledged, only one kept their promise. With the whisper of the ghosts in her ear, the bones of the dead to guide her. The soul of a twin to forever lead her home.

Should she stay,
someone else would pay.
Then one day,
the demon would return,
and kill all the fae.
She is bathed in silence.

The silence of the dead.
Be her enemy and you will dread,
dread the day you crossed the Bone Singing fae.

✵ ✵ ✵ ✵ ♞ ♝ ♜ ♛ ♜ ♝ ♞ ✵ ✵ ✵ ✵

Feyre's POV:

The soft furs made sleep so tempting. Sleep wasn't an option, my mates warm hard body was wrapped around my own. Groaning softly, I rolled over to face his warmth, and the violet eyes hazed with sleep. His chest rumbled softly and he pressed his lips to the top of my hair. Rhys murmured, "I love you, Feyre darling."

I chuckled and pressed farther into his warmth. He sighed and with another kiss was up readying for the meetings today. Two days, two days had passed since Az and I barely escaped with our lives, Elain's and Briar's as well, from the Hybern camp.

My mate was quick to leave, claiming Azriel needed his presence for something. Sighing, I watched his dark, lovely form retreat from our tent. He was like a dark god, I decided. No amount of painting would ever be able to describe what I feel for him though.

Arising from the furs, I was slow and stiff to tug on my Illyrian Valkyrie leathers. When the female legion returned to Night Court the first thing Emerie did was give me a new pair. The Illyrian males did not take kindly to the females trying to reintegrate themselves back into the camps.

Windhaven was luckily one of the more accepting ones, likely because Kana apparently almost kicked Delvon's ass once. Chuckling at the thought, sore feet carried me from the false safety of the tent. Mor appeared and looped our arms together, "Sleep well?"

Shaking my head, it took all my strength not to look at the rows of bodies, warded to hide the stench of them all. "I slept, but not well."

Mor nodded her head, she paused for a minute. Her eyes glassed over, Mor;s lips pressed tightly together. She whispered, "Azriel found a spy in the camp, Rhys wants our presence."

Silently we made our way to the tent where Mor said they were. Entering the tent with a flap of the tent, my face remained calm. My mate spared me a quick glance before stalking toward the fae in chains. Azriel was silent as Rhysand gripped the chained male by the chin. Standing near the entrance of the tent, the air was tense between the five of us present.

Rhysand snarled, wings tense on his back. "Tell me, is Hybern so stupid he thought he could hide a spy in my camps?"

The spy jerked his chin from my mate's grip, he said sharply. "Yes, but I already killed those bastards for you." Rhys' eyes widened a fraction, but his face was still grave as a stone.

His violet eyes glared as he snapped, "Then who do you work for? And why are you here?" The spy glanced him up and down, before his cool gaze slid to me. The male held his arm with the chains up.

"One chain freed for one question." He spoke calmly, Azriel pulled Truth Teller, advancing toward the male. Blinking m mind retracted to those old days. Kana stood before me cackling. A frown was plastered to my face, "What's so funny?"