Chapter Twenty-Four

Feyre's POV: 

I felt it. I knew, when I glanced down at the broken chess piece, it only confirmed my suspicions. No one blinked as I left the healing tent. I ran, ran for Nesta. She glanced a few seconds before I gripped onto her and winnowed as far as my restricted magic would let me.

There was nothing but instinct, we were about a mile outside of our village. We already were spotting the body's of dead Hybern soldiers. Their bones had been crushed, like the weight of the world was too much. The mile was too long.

"Hey, sis." I mumbled. Kana glanced at me and smiled. "Yeah, Fey?"

"What will happen to us when you leave?" My twelve year old body is shaking from my tears. Kana gripped my shoulders and smiled at me, "I'll never leave you," She set her hand right above my heart. "I'll always be with you."

Nesta kept up, fear and left over adrenaline fuling us. We stumbled over dead soldiers, stepping on their bodies, crushing them further. My tears fell through the wind as I ran, Nesta never struggling to follow me through the village of bodies.

The bodies thickened as we ran, we used our hands to climb over the piles of bodies in the manor lawn. Nesta was faster than me, my muscles still weak compared to what they used to be. My elder sister flung bodies out of our path, trying to clear a path to the front door.

I jumped the last hurtle of bodies and screamed, "Kana!"

We screamed throughout the manor, our voices had already been used up from the battle. My throat felt like sandpaper as I screamed for Kana. I doubted Nesta's was any better.

The dining room I had loved so much was painted in blood. My mind flashed to my own blood that painted my cell, but this, this was so much worse.

Rhysand entered my mind, Feyre where- Perhaps he felt my panic, my franticness, but I felt him slamming his powers onto my shields as I blocked him out.

With a hoarse cry I screamed, "Kana!"

I begged to hear her answer. "Kana!" Nesta shouted, her voice silencing everything further. "Kana!" We screamed checking every room. Nesta and I ran for the second once all we found were the dead on the first floor.

I ran straight for her office, the doors were thrown open. Her office wasn't much better. I stopped in the doorway. My power rippled, The ground shook, Rhysand was close.

A spear, a long spear, made of ash wood, pinned her to the wall. It pinned her just right where she was half laying on the floor. A piece of her ear was across the room near her favorite chest.

Her sword was left on the floor, like she had dropped it from the impact of the spear. Kana had a cut from the top of her forehead all the way to the shell of her ear on the right side of her face.

I stumbled toward her, toward Kana, toward the female who raised me.

I gripped her wrist begging for a pulse. Yet her dull eyes held the truth. I set my head down, right on her elbow. Nesta was a silent presence behind me. I sobbed, she was gone.

I had left her to die alone.

✵ ✵ ✵ ✵ ♞ ♝ ♜ ♛ ♜ ♝ ♞ ✵ ✵ ✵ ✵

Nesta's POV:

I stared.

Searching for anything, my iron will could not break a glamor that wasn't there.

My half, My twin, my High General, my sister. Tears slid down my chest. Feyre wept on the floor beside her.

"You shouldn't use your powers so openly." I stated, glaring as Kana. She glared back at me and grinned. "Even when I got you out of dance lessons from that evil old hag?"

My lips tilted up as I struggled to remain neutral. "You poisoned her," Kana nodded, "She deserved every single leaf. You'll have that scar from the ruler for the rest of your life you know."

I had accepted that already, I nodded. "It reminds me." I mumbled silently. I felt Kana's gaze turn on me. "Reminds you of what?"

Damn her fae hearing. "It reminds me of you," I smiled softly. "At the time that was the worst pain I had ever been through. But now I see that it wasn't that bad. You are like that, always saying it wasn't the worst thing that's ever happened to you."

She frowned, "I would hope for something happier, Nessie." I snorted at the use of the nickname I usually hated. "It reminds me of how strong you are, and always will be."

A strong hand gripped my shoulder and tried to turn me from the massacre of my other half. My body twisted, but my eyes never moved. Cassian stepped forward into my vision. Yet Kana's dull grey, dead eyes stared right at me.

I was too afraid to look away. Looking away would mean all hope of light soaking back into her eyes would disappear. Rhysand showed up, He and Cassian followed my gaze.

A shining black figure was trapped in Kana's hand. I limped toward her, and my knees hit the floor with a thud. I unfolded her fingers and pulled her chess piece from her hands. The Black Queen.

The wall blew out, Feyre and I were slung backwards into the bookcases. Books crashed down onto the both of us. My vision blurred. Push through, this isn't the worst I've had.

Lies.

Cassian was in a defensive stance in front of Feyre and I as we struggled to get to our feet. My vision focused, Cassian launched forward snarling, Rhysand followed, blades drawn. The attor clutched my sister's body in its arms.

Shadows flooded the room, and The Shadow Singer appeared. His eyes were glowing, showing the burning, icey cold rage that he held. A female appeared beside the attor, they winnowed away.

She was gone, Kana was gone, so was her body.

I clutched her chess piece in my hands.

It was all that was left.

✵ ✵ ✵ ✵ ♞ ♝ ♜ ♛ ♜ ♝ ♞ ✵ ✵ ✵ ✵

Rhysand's POV:

I had seen many broken things.

But the look in Feyre's eyes looked unmendable. She sat in the town house with us, we all sat in silence. We were all covered in blood remaining from the battle.

Yet the only thing that mattered was the brokenness to my mate's eyes. Cassian glanced at her. She didn't bother to look back. I knew she was in shock. Azriel left, disappearing into the shadows, Mor and Amren left soon after. Cassian murmured, "I have to go check up on the Illyrians."

He left without another word. I stood and walked over to the sofa where Feyre sat. her eyes finally moved from the spot on the wall, she looked down at me where I knelt in front of her.

Tears fell down her cheeks. I leaned forward and licked them away. In hopes I could get her to feel anything but nothing. She whispered, "I left her to die alone."

I scooped her up in my arms holding her tightly to my form. "It was not your fault, not even Az knew that those soldiers were going to be there." She sobbed and I cried silently with her.

Kana left this world so different than when she found it. All I could do was grip my mate tightly to me. At this moment I hated Kana for dying. Because it was her death that allowed me to hold my mare in my arms of her own will.

I will wait a thousand years, more, for Feyre. But the cost of holding her now is too much.

Yet nothing could be changed or done.

I hope you all are having a nice day today. We had really bad storms today, so my district canceled school! I was so happy because it gave me more time to finish this part of the story!

Happy Reads Everyone!

: Dragon-Fly