Chapter Twenty-Three

Kana's POV:

Weeks had passed since Feyre had first woken up from Brannagh's mind trap. Nesta and Elain were in the house for once, claiming that if something went wrong they wanted to be here to protect her.

Nesta snarls, "Why would you give Rhysand the locations of the books? Why would you let them meet with the Queen in this house, Kana?"

"General Nesta I need not remind you that it is the Queen's job to give us orders to protect these lands. When they fail to do so we take things into our own hands." She hissed at me and Elain set a hand on her shoulder. Hava burst into the room, "Nesta go lead your soldiers, I'll keep them safe."

Nesta rose and darted out of the room quickly. Elain rose as well, "I have to be ready to heal them." I nodded and she left quickly, not sparing a second.

"Hava when all else goes to hell, remember the keys." She nodded and ran, ran because nothing could save me from the fate I bargained for.

One Week Earlier:

Rhysand said, "She died because she gave us the human's half of the book."

I explained, "Rhysand she made her bed, she made those decisions herself. I believe she knew what she was doing, and that she chose to die with honor, than to live with no dignity."

I stated, "Hybern has taken up host in Spring Court. They'll come to kill me first." He glared at me, "I'll send soldiers.

"I want you to take the Illyrian legion with you when you leave." I completely ignored him. Rhysand snarled at me, "You are just going to let them walk in here and kill you!"

"Rhysand it's been over for me for a very long time." I murmured softly. Rhysand hissed and argued, "I will send soldiers over here-"

"I will not let innocent soldiers die for me, when I will die anyways." I hissed at him, I coughed and he was immediately there, handing me a glass of water. I motioned for the wrag a table away. He brought it quickly.

I coughed, the dry sounds filling the quiet house. I pulled the blood stained cloth away from my mouth. Rhysand was silent as he stared at the wrag. He gently took it from my hands as I rested my dizzy head on my arms.

"How long?"

"Four weeks at most." I coughed. I felt the wave of power that brushed over the land. "What do I tell Feyre?"

"What I just told you." I said glaring at my sister's mate. He said, "She'll demand to come see you."

"Then bring her tomorrow, but you can't stay." I glared at him. He nodded and left without another word. Pain would come, and I would carry my cross to the mountain, and then I would die.

✵ ✵ ✵ ✵ ♞ ♝ ♜ ♛ ♜ ♝ ♞ ✵ ✵ ✵ ✵

"Kana you have to leave." Feyre tried negotiating. I glared at her, "Feyre I am the human-lands High General, I can't just leave, because the Queen's aren't giving orders it's my job to run the human-lands you know that."

She huffed and snarled, "Kana Hybern's soldiers could kill you-"

I silenced her with a hand. My eyes hinted at the power I once carried, "Feyre, I am staying here, and if I die let them all know that it was Hybern who killed me."

I glanced at Cassian who was starring, "Do you have something to add General?" Cassian blinked out of his trance and straightened. "I just find it strange, you accept death too easily."

I turned my gaze to Rhysand, who had been prepared. He shrugged, showing that I needed to be the one to tell her. I patted the seat beside me and Feyre sat down quickly.