Chapter Eleven

Kana's POV: 

I sat propped up in my bed signing paperwork. I sniffed, glancing outside. The dying leaves painted the ground in warm colors. Someone knocked and entered my room quickly. I turned and faced Elain.

I smiled at my sister, "I haven't seen you much, are you okay?" Elain smiled at me and nodded. She came over and kissed my forehead. She was glowing, literally glowing. I smiled, "How is Graysen?"

"He's fine, I went to see him yesterday." Elain giggled. She gripped my hand and admitted. "I'm worried for you Kana. This winter will be hard and I'm scared you won't make it."

I tilted my hand and tilted her chin up to look at me. The light in my eyes showed the truth, "I'll live through the winter. Tell me sister, how are the healing tents? I assume they are keeping you busy because I barely see you anymore."

Elain nodded and sighed, "That's what I am here about actually. The Illyrian elder requested that I allow some of the Illyrian girls to help out. I of course accepted because it would be good for the girls. But when they arrived they were twelve through fifteen year old girls."

I nodded, "I ran that by the elders Elain. The Illyrian's are different from us, the girls are young because this is how their culture is. Because we upset that females do not trian tradition. We are trying to balance out the traditions we keep and the ones we scrap. Like the wing clippings."

Elain nodded, she kissed my head again. "Thank you Kana." I nodded and said softly, "You are very welcome Elain."

She left the room without another word. I sighed and picked up the reports again. The silence was deafening. I coughed a bit. Knocking filled the room, "Enter."

Maven came in, he clicked the door shut behind him. He pulled up a chair, "How are you?"

"Weak," I murmured, I set the reports down. "I couldn't even sit up this morning."

Maven gave me a look of pity, I snapped. "Take your pity elsewhere, Maven." He snorted and smirked at me. "It's sadness, Kana."

I sighed, "Maven," He glared at me. "Is it worth being alive if you can never live?"

Maven sighed and pressed his lips together. He answered calmly, "I'm not the one who needs to answer that question." I set my head back on the pillows, staring at the ceiling. I muttered, "I want to live. But I must die."

"You don't have to die, Kana." Maven said. I turned and smiled at him. "But I do, because if I don't then my sister's will die. All of Prythian will die if I do not. So I must die so my sister's can be happy."

Cyrus said from the doorway, "You aren't pulling Viviane into this because of Amarantha. You pull her into this so we all stand a chance after you die." I nodded, refusing to look either of them in the eye.

"I have to die." I glared up at the ceiling. My eyes heavy with tears, "I have to die."

✵ ✵ ✵ ✵ ♞ ♝ ♜ ♛ ♜ ♝ ♞ ✵ ✵ ✵ ✵

Rhysand's POV: 

I stalked through the camp. My black attire had been switched out for Illyrian leathers. Amarantha, teasing me with my people's culture. The bitch was dressed in a dress. She would avoid the fighting as long as possible.

Eris sniped, "So tell me whore, how is the treatment of the sun doing you?"

I smirked at him, cruelness lighting in my eyes. "Very well, how is your mother doing? I haven't seen her, Amarantha would be disappointed if she wasn't here for the downfall of the humans."