Chapter Thirty

Kana's POV:

Xer was deathly quiet as he winnowed us back into the castle. The ghosts swarmed, poking at the edge of my mind. Their comforting presence had an edge of anger, directed toward the sisters back on Prythian.

You deserve this. Monster. You caused this. Have your payback. You can leave now. Stalking away from the hovering fae males, in the direction of my room, silence seemed like a blessing for once.

Soft murmuring caught my attention. Darwyn murmured, "What happened?"

"They weren't as welcoming as Rhysand was." Xer murmured. Rhysand would hate me now too, I had said the truth that made his mate cry. Scoffing softly, the mate bonds, a mystery to all.

The love that came with Feyre and Rhys' bond was like a storybook I used to read to her on sleepless nights. Removing the pins, my hair cascaded down covering my face slightly.

Hands gripping my elbows I avoided the gazes of the passing servants. They all started, hurrying up the closest staircase grime smudged onto my fingers. Blinking into the light the castle seemed to have changed a bit. It appeared brighter, a mockery of the horrible events.

Slipping into my room, I avoided a few of the fae ahead that looked like their parents were important people to my father. Or they themselves were important. Pulling out a change of clothes, I shucked offf what I had been wearing. Slipping into black jeans, a white top and pulling on a black leather jacket.

Humming slightly as I looked in the mirror, bending my knee pulling the leg up slightly, the flats looked odd with the outfit. Made me look like someone fancy. Frowning, I ditched the flats in a corner, then searched the wardrobe for matching shoes.

Finally pulling out a pair of black boots that went just above my ankle. Someone knocked, I elected to ignore them. A ghost locked the door for me quickly. They knocked again, Darwyn spoke. "Can I come in."

Lacing the other boot, my mouth pressed to a thin line. The ghost's stirred one going as far to knock the brush off the counter of the vanity. Darwyn spoke, "I know you're in there Kana."

"Darwyn screw off your pissing the ghosts off." I snapped pulling my hair up into a ponytail. There was silence for a while, before he spoke again. "I forgot Bone Singers can contact the dead as well."

They roared from the offence. I hissed, "Darwyn shut up. You are pissing them off, go away." One of the ghosts alerted me when he finally left. Sighing I tugged open my door as the ghosts used their presence to mask the room to where it felt like I was in it.

Heading toward the servant's quarters with a light glamor masking my presence, everyone past by me like I never existed in the first place. Marigold was ironing clothes, I let the invisibility glamor by. Kennedy scoffed as I entered the room.

I asked the woman who seemed to be the head laundress, "Can I borrow Marigold? I need some help with a few things." The Head Laundress nodded and motioned for Marigold to follow me.

She scurried over quickly and smiled at me softly. She murmured, "You're dressed like a commoner, your brothers will through a fit."

"That's the point." I said, "I haven't seen the town yet, I was hoping you could take me." She blushed and nodded, yet mumbled. "You're mad at your brothers."

"I don't want to talk about siblings right now, the trip to Prythian didn't exactly go well." I whispered. Marigold nodded and led us down the flights of stairs, and we came to a servants exit.

"Most people don't know about this, but you can be trusted, so this door leads you down a tunnel. It takes you all the way to the center of town." Marigold tugged the door open, she snagged, and lit a lantern before shoeing me ahead of her.