Chapter Thirteen

Feyre's POV:

I dipped my brush in a blob of paint. I continued painting the vines of flowers around the baseboards of the first floor. Rhysand spoke into my mind, What are you doing?

Painting. I answered curtly. I twisted the paints into the right shades and shapes until I was satisfied. Rhysand continued, How do you paint? I paused before my brush hit the baseboard. I pressed my lips together and sighed. I don't know, it's like a whole inside me. That is flowing with things that need to be told.

There was silence and I continued bringing my paint brush across the boards. I rose from the floor when the hallway was done. I glanced at a clock in the sitting room. Sometime after noon.

Kana was doing paperwork, and resting. Water stung my eyes, she just let that bitch fae sell us out. I shook my head and cleaned up my painting supplies.

I walked into my room, and set my supplies down in my art space. I was quick to clean up in the bathroom. I came out dressed in leggings and woolen socks. We'd be fighting in the dead of winter. The fae would be okay, but our human soldiers would be hit hard.

I opened the door and left Brandelis standing like a fool who'd been prepared to knock. He entered the room silently, and shut the door behind him. I said flatly, "What's the update?"

"The forest is blocked off, and no fae have been seen. General Nesta sent a few Illyrian females out to scout yesterday and they came back as scheduled."

I nodded and brought a brush through my hair quickly. Brandelis sounded soft, "Commander is everything okay?"

Weeks had passed and everyone was restless. I'd been training with Nuan most of the time. "I'm fine, is there anything else that is important?"

"No, Commander." Brandelis saluted and left quickly. I glanced down at my shaking hands. They quickly folded into fists. I walked out of my room and knocked on Kana's door. "Enter."

I stalked through the doors, Kana glanced up at me. She'd die soon, not even the strength the reaper was giving her could save her now. I declared, "When will Amarantha be here?"

"Very soon." Kana answered roughly. She rubbed her chest, the poison seizing her. I sighed, "And frostbite?"

"Will be treated accordingly, the soldiers are being kept warm." Kana answered quickly. I pressed my lips together and glanced at Hava. I gazed back at my sister. "Kana what if we lose?"

"We won't." Kana declared signing off on a document. I shook my head. "When will she be here?" I asked again. Kana paused and stared at me, "The order goes out tomorrow to be on high alert. Nesta's legion, and the Illlyrian's will start moving to the wall tomorrow."

"And my legion?" I asked, Kana wouldn't keep us out of a fight like this. It was idiotic. "You all will leave tomorrow as well."

I stood straighter, "Where will we be going?" Kana's lips pressed together, and she rubbed her temples. "You'll be going to the front. Push comes to shove, you and your unit will push Amarantha's aerial followers."

Push would come to shove. This was Amarantha. A messenger walked into the room, "High General there is an army coming from the East. It's not Amarantha."

Kana nodded, "Make sure they get here without trouble, they are our allies." I was still staring at my sister. The messenger left and I asked, "Who are they?"

Kana explained, "Viviane traded the information she got on us in exchange for the freedom of a high lord. The High Lord just so happens to be Helion. Who we marvelously are now allied with."