Chapter Forty-One

A/N: The Final Reckoning! 

Kana's POV: 

Nerves racked my entire body. The jacket the Weaver gave, was surprisingly armored. Or at least that's what it looked like. An elven jacket, based for agility and stealth. The knives were stashed in the back, I had left the made sword and royal knife with The Spy.

Dred, anxiousness, and fear all pooled in my stomach. Vomiting seemed like a good idea, Darwyn murmured, "What has your nerves so spiked?"

"Bad feeling." I whispered ducking my head, as a few Illyrian males jogged to fall into the line positions. Darwyn nodded, heart pounding within my chest. We stalked through the camp. A strong glamor was placed between the two forces of Prythian and Hybern.

Their presence was undeniable, yet no one seemed to pay it a second glance. This moment, everything, everything came down to this moment. Hair weaved into a braid, the slick armor The Spy had winnowed in for me, gave the appearance of a dark queen.

Perhaps, in some form, I was.

Darwyn led us through the camp, looking for Rhysand. Nesta and Elain had avoided us at all costs. At one point, Nesta even tolerated the presence of the General she despised so much just to get away from us.

Darwyn insisted she was only being petty. Provided the evidence she didn't actually mean it, Nesta meant it. She was a wolf dressed in sheep's clothing. Her claws sank deep, You will go where I need you to go.

Darwyn claimed, "Xer mind linked me last night," He paused, glancing at me, while my gaze was pinned to him. Darwyn continued, "Mother got the babe's gender confirmed, it's a girl."

There it was, the nail in my coffin. Esaa Aethra Thea Brangwen. Fae births were hard, brutal. It was a miracle that Dione had survived five children so fair. One birth had been twins, which alone had killed so many fae it was practically unheard of to survive it.

Now she was having a sixth, if Esaa survived, if the babe made it to term. Should Essa and Dione make it to term, then they would need to survive the birth. Which I was pretty sure, Dione and her healers had itt handled. She'd done it five times before, afterall.

Darwyn brought us to the edge of camp, with the inner circle. Cas stood to my side, while Amren was to Darwyn's. The Illyrian General wrapped an arm around my shoulders. It was Amren who spoke, "Kana, whatever you know. It would best not be our downfall."

I declared, the pounding of my heart ringing in my ears. "I'm no seer."

The Ancient One nodded and turned her gaze back to her High Lord. Lord. Falcon had my brothers, he'd catch them if they fell. He'd keep Rask safe. Then there was the Night Court. Kier was an ass, the Illyrian's seemed to be keeping up with my rapid adaptation.

Those Illyrian's were tough as nails, they'd just have to get used to working harder to appease the females. They wouldn't get wives anymore by arranged marriages. Not if the Female Legion had anything to say about it.

Cas slung his arm over my shoulder, gently squeezing my shoulder with his hand. It began now, the end of the beginning, started now. Taking a shaky breath, I glanced around at the forces. Cas murmured, "I've never seen you so nervous."

I scoffed, "This could very well go to hell any second now, Cas. i'm entitled to nerves, especially when they won't get it my way of swinging a sword."

The General snorted, yet his gaze also drew out to the forces of Prythian. The Darkbringers and Illyrians at the front. The Night Court armies would take the heaviest hits if I failed.