Chapter One

Kana's POV:

The same curse. A different nightmare. 'Momma why?' I curled up around myself while the three of my sisters sat in the corner sobbing. She beat me, relentlessly, and the stupid coughing fits were only getting worse. "Never ever show anyone your damned ears again do you understand me!" She went to punch me in the face-  I woke up startled. Not in a comfy bed, no we barely had that anymore. I slept in the rocking chair. Curled up like a cat. 

We lost all of our money, then mother died. And now father sat healing on a cot, from where those barbarians had wrecked my fathers leg. I was busy healing people, with the herbs i had Feyre and Elain run out in the woods and get. 

I sighed, and pushed myself from the rocking chair. I fixed breakfast from the small set of ingredients we had. I could start selling the ingredients for the herbs, it would likely make us a few extra coins. Oatmeal pancakes, Nesta would be truly pissed. 

Summer, lucky enough, I was only able to buy small things for food. Feyre spent most of her winter day's hunting in the woods. With the bow, and set of arrows Xerxes had gifted me for my ninth birthday.  Feyre emerged from the little room the three of them shared. 

She glanced at father. We wouldn't last long, something was coming.  "Feyre," she glanced at me, and came over to me. "What do you need?" 

"There is a trapper position open, Lord Graysen needs a new one. I would like you to apply." It was a long shot. Feyre blinked at me, "But he hates fae, they hunt them! If they find out about you they'll-" 

"Feyre darling why do you think I pushed the three of you out of the house the other day?" I said, tapping her nose with a finger. I went and set the table. Feyre murmured, "Why a trapper?" 

"Feyre you are probably the best huntress in all of Prythian darling. If you take this position while it's open and you could eventually drag someone else's attention. I just want to see you doing well." I explained to her, she snatched the plate from me and sett the table herself.  

Feyre mumbled, "You want us to go into the army?"

"I cannot lie to you Feyre. something is coming for the human-lands, I do not know what it is, the bones of the dead don't whisper to me like they used to." I sighed and set the pancakes on the plates. Four not five, I never eat breakfast anyways I wasn't hungry. My twin emerged with Elain behind her. 

"Army right. So we go in and what be a foot soldier?" Nesta sniped. "They have shit pay." 

I snarled at her, her mouth snapped closed. "They most certainly do," I pointed at the books I had forced them to train from. "Those are the original Valkyrie books Nesta. Could could conquer the world with those." 

"Why should we care? They are dumb forgotten books." Nesta snarled, her teeth flashed. More fae than anything, but human she was. "The Valkyrie were a race of purely female and women warriors Nesta. Fae, those are Fae techniques you've learned. And how good you are at them would give you the ability to kill one, maybe more." 

Nesta blinked at that. Feyre murmured, "No one else has those abilities, not even the people at Graysen's manor, we'd be invaluable." 

Nodding, I motioned for my sisters to sit down. "Not a word of this the father, I don't want him knowing unless it works." 

They all nodded. Nesta's fire was that of Aldrich's. It scared me, sometimes. that day I trained with them, I wouldn't let the ghost of my mother stop me. Stop me from trying to get us out of the situation we were thrust into.  

We trained.

✵ ✵ ✵ ✵ ♞ ♝ ♜ ♛ ♜ ♝ ♞ ✵ ✵ ✵ ✵