Chapter Thirty-Nine

I slipped into third person in the last chapter near the end because it seemed like the best way to pass time the quickest. (For people who were curious) Enjoy the double update!

Kana's POV: 

A month of my life had disappeared in the blink of an eye. Bones were easy, controlling the bodies of the dead to wield weapons and fight for my command was easy. The most I could summon to fight at once was one hundred skeletons.

Eden declared that we were going to a distant war field today. It made me nervous, how easily she spoke about it. According to her we'd also be learning healing while there.

Which was terrifying. I'd read many books of Bone-Singer's being able to restore skin, muscle, and tissue just like the average healer. Eden had ordered that I read a book describing the process of how a Bone-singer would regrow limbs. Wings as well.

After all this, I would be a healer. The learning process would be horrible. Yet it would be worth it, to see Illyrians back in the skies after they thought all hope was lost. If I could even do the regrowth to begin with.

I mustn't get ahead of myself, this was dangerous work. Yet Eden seemed almost relieved when I declared I wanted to learn the healing basics. Just the basics, it would take me years to complete the correct training. We didn't have that kind of time.

Eden winnowed us out and I glanced over the battle field. She motioned to sit, which we both did. Eden sighed, chuckling darkly. "This is where we lost the losing fight."

I glanced at her, "My husband found out I didn't just control the power of the forest, the elven kind. He found out I was a Ghost-Singer. He demanded that I resurrect the dead, demanding that I do the most unspeakable things to our enemies."

Her face was solemn yet it was still filled with the warmth I came to recognize as contentment. The Queen sighed and motioned to the battle field around us. "Most of these are Elvish soldiers, that you feel around us. I have contacted them and asked for their permission to help in your training."

"What shall we learn?" I questioned after glancing around the still barren field. Eden dipped her head and declared, "I will teach you to carve bones. So you might join your sisters in the fighting across the sea, now that you are fluent in the old language."

I nodded quickly, I had to learn this. I needed to know the knowledge to save my sisters. Just to make sure, I opened my senses to the ghosts around us. They assured me about using their bones for the carving practice. Eden tossed me a bone, catching it, I clutched it tightly in my hands.

Eden explained, "Carving is a strange practice. It's much like setting up wards or scrying, somewhere in between. This is how the Bone-Carver carves the death of the people the wind whispers about."

"Theoretically," I claimed, waving my hand through the air. "I would be able to change my appearance like he does, because we are both Bone-Singers."

Eden nodded, "You would not be able to achieve his level of deceit, but over time you would be able to yes."

Perhaps my friend could teach me then, if Rhysand would permit it. Eden chucked me a chisel, and declared. "Focus your power on the bone, and use your power to ask the question, 'How did you die?'"

My power rose from the depths, and I asked the question. Focusing on it ask my hands started to move through my power's will. We waited in silence, I continued to focus on the question, it became hard as I was curious to what was being written.

Then I lost it, my hands dropped and I emerged from the layer of power. Air flooded my lungs and I pressed a palm to my chest. Eden nodded, "For your first try you are incredibly good."