Chapter Fourteen

Feyre's POV:

I leaned up against the wall, gently. Very lightly, if not I'd probably break that too. I glanced down at my too long legs. I had my arms folded across my chest. Everything was too long, I was taller now.

I tripped because I lacked that fae grace. Regina hugged me tightly, the hours we returned after the battle. I stayed far, far away from the High Lords. Of course I had spent last week with Lord Rhysand.

I made the bargain out of desperation, but I would honor it. I glanced down at my tattooed hand, and a small tally had started. Four marks stood, four weeks until I had to go to him next.

I folded my hand into a fist and shoved it down at my side. Being the center of attention, was like forever having that feeling of forgetting something. It was horrible.

Kana had killed Amarantha for almost all of our remaining forces. Yet I was the one they decided to give credit to. For my sacrifice Amarantha was killed. I shook my head and straightened as I heard Kana and Hava near the meeting room.

I stepped from the wall when they exited. Kana smiled softly at me, like the ghost she was becoming. Her voice was rough and scratchy, this winter could be what kills her. "How are you?"

I hadn't slept much, when I did, I woke up screaming. Amarantha snapping my neck over and over again. Death was darkness, but peaceful. Like it was waiting, waiting for the worst to happen.

I couldn't keep much down, not without vomiting it up in my sleep.

"I'm fine."

Kana glanced at me, "Feyre when you feel like telling me you can, I'm not going to push you." Beron had breached the idea last week. That because I had been given the credit as curse breaker, it meant I was now forced to marry Tamlin.

We had heard Kana's snarl across the house. Hours later, Beron walked out with a black eye. Even weakened, Beron was still unable to land a hit on Kana.

Nuan had snorted when we told her it wasn't healing. And explained to Regina and I that because of her ash poisoning. Everything about her had ash wood properties.

Which means when she hurts a fae with her bare skin, the wound would act like an ash wood weapon had been used. Helion offered Hava a place back in her court.

With his smir of course. Her response was something I was afraid to even think about. But she would be staying by Kana until my sister died.

I asked, "What are they saying?" Kana sighed and rubbed her throat. It had been raw for days, "Tamlin and Beron are pushing for you to marry someone of power. Helion is obviously against the idea. Tamlin knows what I can do with a knife so he's not going to test me."

That left four undecided courts. Hava set a slower pace. Someone was approaching. Staring at the floor I glanced up as we stopped. Tamlin's face was stone. "General Kana, I was hoping I might have a few words with Commander Feyre."

She nodded curtly, her lips pressed tight. Tamlin stuck out his arm. I glanced quickly at Kana, and walked past Lord Tamlin without taking his arm. I felt his pause through the air, he then quickly caught up to me.

I hated the fact we were using our house as the preferred meeting place when the High Lord's needed to talk to my sister. Tamlin declared, "being fae suits you, your beauty is unrivaled by many."

"Including you." I said flatly. Someone tripped in a nearby room, he obviously hadn't heard it. It focused on the situation beside him. Tamlin smiled at me, "Commander Feyre, it is fae tradition that from the circumstances you are expected to marry me."