Dinner

Two days later, my parents and I got into the car and headed towards Alexander's house. This was the same house we had stayed in during the peace treaty talks.

A line had formed at the checkpoint by the time we got there. It would seem that everyone had somewhere to be tonight. It set us back like ten minutes. Luckily, the invitations for the dinner had come with visitor passes.

There were a couple of ways to get to Alexander's house. 

The first one was taking the public road where reporters would be staking out the entrance and documenting everything that happened at the place. The second one was taking a private road with no traffic and delivered them directly to the house without anyone being the wiser. Needless to say, we took the second route.

We hadn't needed to worry about it the first time since Alexander had taken care of everything. Well, technically, he had smuggled me inside that one time but now it was different. This time it was official.

The road was quiet and dimly lit. We were the only vehicle and there were cameras on every lamp post. Large trees obscured everything on both sides. The setting sun didn't help either. 

I smooth down my light blue skirt with sweaty hands. Mom hadn't lied when she said we were dressing up. Unfortunately, I also had a white blouse and I hoped I didn't spill anything on it. Mom was in a dress and Dad was dressed in slacks and a polo. In retrospect, I should have asked Alexander what the dress code for tonight was. If anything, at least my skirt had a pocket.

A few minutes later, a large iron gate came into view. Beyond was a large mansion. All the lights were lit and it sparkled. 

A guard stepped out of the sentry box. As Dad eased the car into a stop, the guard took a step forward. Dad lowered the window and the guard spoke.

"Visitor pass," she said.

"Evening," Dad said as a way of greeting before handing her the passes.

The guard took the passes into the sentry box. I spotted a computer inside. Everything seemed to check out because soon after she returned the passes and the iron gate began to move.

"Enjoy your evening," she said. 

"Thank you," Dad replied.

We drove through the gate and the sight was breathtaking just as it was the first time. Huge gardens and fountains spanned across the front lawn. A massive fountain sat in the center of the driveway. Dad followed the path around and stopped in front of the door. 

A butler stepped out of the house followed by a woman in a black pantsuit. She was the one who took the keys from Dad as the butler ushered us inside. 

"Welcome," the butler said. "My name is Trevor. And may I say that it is a pleasure to welcome you back."

"Thank you for having us," Mom said with a smile. 

"Dinner will be served momentarily. The Royal family has been expecting you. They're in the drawing-room."

With confused looks, we followed Trevor. What the heck was a drawing-room? 

I looked at my parents. Dad didn't seem to care and Mom looked like she knew everything. It must be all those period dramas she liked to binged watched. Trying to be discreet, I took my phone out of pocket and searched it.

It was a room to entertain guests. 

Violet and King Rothchester were talking in a low voice when we walked in. Upon seeing us, they smiled and stood. They were both dressed casually. It was a bit jarring not seeing Violet in a gown or the king in his full royal attire.