Sold

The morning came all too soon. A bright light pierced through my eyelids. Unfortunately, I was wide awake. Sighing, I climbed out of bed and went into the bathroom to take care of my daily needs. Feeling tired, I crawled into bed again. When I tried to get comfortable, I bumped into something.

Startled, I opened my eyes, coming face-to-face with Alexander. Grinning, I threw my comforter over him and snuggled close. He pulled me into his chest and held me.

"I missed you," I whispered.

"I've been away too long," he admitted. "But don't worry. I won't be busy soon."

I frowned. "What do you mean?"

He grinned. "It's a surprise."

Content, I closed my eyes. Since coming to spend the holidays with Alexander, I only had one day of relaxation. Once Ms. Bouis had given the rest of the tour, I had to meet the entire staff and continue etiquette lessons. While Mr. Adams hadn't been present, he had sent reports on my progress and what I was working on to the Royal family. Ms. Bouis decided that I could use more practice.

The following day, I decorated the house and gardens with my parents. Mom wanted a massive balloon in the front yard. Dad wanted lights on every bush and tree. I was in charge of putting it all together. We got dressed up and took holiday photos. We wore matching outfits. I called that a relaxing day because the rest of the days were filled with history and etiquette lessons.

"They've been working you hard," Alexander muttered, rubbing my back.

I nodded.

"I would have liked to decorate the house with you."

"What about the palace?" I asked.

"Violet had taken care of that," he said.

"We can find something to decorate."

I looked at him. He pouted.

"We can get our personal holiday pictures," I suggested.

"Yeah, okay."

Shaking my head, I leaned forward and kissed him.

"Don't be sad," I muttered.

I kissed him again. This time, I trailed my lips against his jaw.

"We can still spend time together," I whispered in his ear.

"You're right," he said, kissing my forehead. "Cuddling is spending time together."

"Your Highness," Ms. Bouis called from outside the room. "Lady Violet had requested your presence."

Alexander and I looked at each other.

"Duty calls," he said.

"We'll see each other tonight at your mom's charity event," I reminded him.

He sighed. "Yeah, forgot about that one."

"You did not."

"No, I didn't," he agreed. "For once, I'd like to spend a day without worrying about commitments."

"Then you'd get bored. Admit it; you enjoy your responsibilities."

"I do."

I leaned forward and kissed him. "Go. Don't be late."

"Okay."

After another kiss, he was out the door.

I didn't have time to relax. Soon after, Ms. Bouis walked in with assistants. They brought me breakfast. I ate my fill before they started getting me ready for tonight. I was not looking forward to it. After my accusation, Lady Hargrave had utterly ghosted me. Not that I was complaining. Despite that, she hadn't retracted her invitation to the charity ball. I was sure she was planning something, but I didn't know what it could be. She wouldn't do something to hurt Alexander's image, but then again, she was capable of anything.