Remain Calm

I woke with a start. Where - ? Oh, right, I'd slept over at Lisa's house. Yawning, I groped around for my phone. It took me a few minutes before I could actually check the time. It was a quarter till six. Looking around, I saw Lisa on love seat with a blanket over her. I was on the other couch also with a blanket. I didn't remember grabbing a blanket. There was movement in the other room.

"Sir?" I called out.

"Sorry," came the voice. "I hope I didn't wake you."

I sat up and saw the figure in the doorway. "No," I said rubbing my eyes. "Mr. - sorry, I never got you name."

"Anthony Keller," he replied.

"Dad?"

Lisa sat up. "You're back. How's Mom?"

Mr. Keller looked at me, or at least, it seemed like he did.

"It's okay," Lisa said. "She's in the know."

A few minutes later, the lights flickered on. I looked away from it, eyes tearing up.

"Let's get some breakfast before we talk, okay?"

As Mr. Keller ordered breakfast, I went into the bathroom and showered in order to completely wake up. Luckily, Joseph got me everything I needed. Remembering this, once I got out of the shower, I sent him a message.

'On my way,' he replied. 'Need me to pick up breakfast?'

'I'm eating here,' I texted back.

After planning with Joseph my route to school, I sent a message to my parents. Now wasn't the time to wake them. After having breakfast with Mr. Keller, and Lisa, I had Joseph drive me to school. We were still a bit early but at least I could nap in the backseat.

The parking lot was empty when we arrived. Just as I started to doze off, the car door opened. I jumped quickly and came face-to-face to Alexander. My mouth split into a smile. How long had it been since I'd last seen him? Too long. Wordlessly, he pulled me into a hug.

"Not going to lie," he teased. "I've never been left hanging before."

"Sorry," I muttered. "Lisa wanted to talk."

"I know, I'm not blaming you."

"Has Dr. Daniels found anything?"

Alexander sighed. "Not yet. We've made this top priority along with finding these Extremists."

"There's too much happening," I whispered. "How do you deal with all the responsibilities?"

"It was easier when -" he stopped.

I looked at him then at Joseph. That's right, he couldn't say what he wanted to say.

"Well, before," he continued. "I have a couple of secretaries to help now so it's not too bad. I hear you met with Mr. Adams."

"Learning how to behave," I said, smiling. "I might have to practice with you."

"Might be a little rusty," he said.

I snuggled closer. "Liar."

Alexander patted my back. "Get some rest. We have a bid meeting this weekend."

The rest of the week passed by like a blur. Mom helped me pick out an outfit for meeting the Queen Consort. By helped, I meant, dragging me to the mall and having me try twenty plus outfits. Between my internship, etiquette lessons, school plus homework, and learning all the important people I might meet, I had no time for myself.

I tried keeping up with any news of the Extremists but they weren't saying much. It was the public who talked. Carlos even mentioned the forum blowing up with theories and whether it was true vampires could be 'cured' if they wanted. Lisa also kept me updated on her mom. They hadn't been released from quarantined but visiting hours had been extended.