Confessions

Despite Alexander's unusual appetite, dinner continued without any more drama. My parents, King Rothchester and Violet did most of the talking. Their conversation revolved around work, colleagues, and even vacation spots. King Rothchester mentioned their ancestral castle deep in the mountains and (from what I guessed) he won that round. No one could beat a place like that.

Alexander frowned at me occasionally from across the table but he never said anything. 

It was only after dinner, as we walked back to the drawing room, that I realized the true parent meeting was yet to happen. I wiped my hands on my skirt. 

We walked into the room, sat, and a familiar face served us desserts. 

"Diana," I said.

She smiled and curtsied. "It's an honor to serve you again. I've brought your favorites. Enjoy."

She curtsied again and left. Tea was poured by an attendant. After finishing, they too left.

Violet and the King sat on the couch. My parents on the other which caused all adults to face each other. Alexander and I were on one, able to see all four of them. His knee bumped against mine.

"Let's not pretend we don't know why we're here," Mom began.

"Emily," Dad said.

She ignored him. "Rin and Prince Ale-Rothchester," she said, "want to be together and they need our blessing. We all know not everyone will approve of their relationship."

I looked down, feeling my face warm. Alexander took my hand and squeezed it. He rubbed his finger over my ring. 

"Dad, "Alexander began. "I want to be with Rin. She makes me happy. She holds me up and keeps me level-headed. I don't know what I could have done without her."

He looked at my dad. "Sir. I know our relationship didn't start on the best foot. Rin has made me want to be better - she already has. She made me realize how blind I was. 

"I want to repay her for everything she has done for me. I don't say this out of guilt or because I owe her. I saw this because I want to make her happy."

My eyes stung. I looked away blinking quickly. He had never said anything to me about how he felt. Now that he has, it was a bit embarrassing but in a good way. 

"Does Miss Borek feel the same?" King Rothchester asked.

I swallowed the lump in my throat. "I want to spend the rest of my days with Alexander." I looked at my parents. "Alexander makes me feel safe. I can sleep knowing that he'll protect me. He gave me confidence and I want to support him."

I turned to King Rothchester and Violet. "I may not be the best candidate for Alexander. I may not know much about the inner workings of a monarchy. I'm sure there are plenty out there that are both."

"Rin," Alexander began. 

I smiled at him and turned back to the King. "If you will accept me, I am willing to learn and be of any assistance. I will support Alexander so that he can succeed with anything he wants to do."

"Never in my wildest fantasies did I think this would happen," Violet said. "To think that it was all thanks to a little contract."

Alexander frowned. "Violet."

She held her hand up to stop him. "It was us that proposed it so it's only natural that we take responsibility for it." Her expression softened. "However, even if the contract hadn't existed, we would approve of your relationship.

"I know I'm not the only one who is thankful that the Prince has returned to his original beliefs."

This time, King Rothchester spoke. "You have given me my son back, Miss Borek. And, you're correct in saying there are better candidates but not one of them could have done what you did. I couldn't ask for a better gift."

"I wasn't that bad," Alexander grumbled.

"You were," my dad interjected. "And I won't soon forget it. No one will. The public least of all."

Alexander gave a curt nod.

"John," Mom began.

He put a hand on her arm. He turned to Alexander. "I know you make Rin happy. I hadn't seen Rin smile and laugh like that for a long time. I'm not against your relationship with my daughter. 

"However, humans die. I don't want my daughter forgotten when she is no longer young. I don't want her to get hurt."

Alexander squeezed my hand. "I can't change the past," he said. "And I'm well aware of human's life expectancy but it won't change my commitment. I rather be with her for one lifetime then spend countless of them without the memory of her."

Through my swimming vision, I saw my parents glance at each other. Maybe they had already made up their minds before all of this.

"You have our blessing," Mom said. "My only wish is that you adopt at least a couple of children." She frowned. "Can a human and a vampire have children? I've never thought about that."

Dad and I groaned. We were just dating. Why was she brining up children?

"No," King Rothchester said. "They cannot. This is not the first occasion where a vampire and human have entered into a relationship nor will it be the last. However, any attempts at childbirth between the two have met with no success."

"It's too early for that," Dad reminded her. "Rin needs to go to college first and get a good job." He also gave me a look. 

"Yup, too early," I agreed. "School first."

"You're no fun," Mom muttered.

"There are many responsibilities with being promised to a prince," Violet said, nudging the conversation along. "There needs to be a public announcement, a ceremony and of course, bestowing titles -"

"Titles?" I asked, finding my voice.

"Well, yes," Violet said. "You'll be given a title and land to manage. Mr. and Mrs. Borek will provide their wisdom to the Crown."

"What now?" Dad asked. "

"It's customary," King Rothchester explained. "You don't have to do anything really. You won't appear in court. We didn't think to leave your family without a thank you gift."

"Isn't it the other way around?" Mom asked.

"Normally, yes," he answered. "Rin has changed the public's opinion and provided great insight with the peace treaty and King Caldor. 

"If you're still unsure, we can talk with Mr. Keys and your ambassador so it can be official."

"What of the assassination attempt?" Dad asked. "Do we have to worry about that?"

We stared at him. He sure wasn't one to mince his words. 

"Not at the moment," Violet answered after a few moments of silence. 

"It's complicated," Alexander explained. "Our investigation team does not think the perpetrators meant to kill. It was more of a message."

I frowned. "What kind of message? Do you know who they are?"

"We have a vague idea," Alexander said. "Nothing is certain. But humans didn't cause this. Some vampire factions have always been opposed of peace between vampires and humans."

I remembered he told me something of this before. 

"But now isn't the time or place," King Rothchester interjected. "Once we get more information, it will be given to the public. We don't wish to leave them in the dark."

I picked up my tea cup and took a sip. To think vampires wanted to hurt Alexander. It made sense seeing how he had switched sides on his beliefs. 

"We'll talk more about the responsibilities and titles another time," Violet said. "We don't want to overwhelm you. Dianna did make such delicious treats. Please enjoy them."

I, for one, was glad for the time to think.

These vampires had used me as bait. They had threatened me to get to him. If I was going to be helpful to Alexander, I needed to become more aware and more suspicious about people. I couldn't let this happen again.

Alexander pressed his knee against mine. Startled, I looked at him. He smiled at me and it was enough to calm some of my worries. At least for now, I would enjoy the peace.