Rescued

"How are you feeling today?" Mom asked, gently holding my hand.

I looked up at the white ceiling. Being in the hospital for almost a week with no end in sight was not what I had pictured for my future. Could I tell her the truth? Could I tell her breathing was painful? My body felt heavy and even opening my eyes was a chore. I could barely chew my food so my diet consisted of liquids mostly.

"Better," I rasped.

Even speaking was exhausting. It was always so cold in the room. Despite the blankets, I was always cold. I couldn't stop shivering.

She gave me a brave smile but I could see the tears in her eyes.

"Where's Dad?" I whispered, trying to distract her.

Mom glanced at the door. "He's with Mr. Keys," she replied.

I closed my eyes. The lights were bright. "He's suing?"

Mom squeezed my hand. "Don't worry about it," she said. "We're taking care of it."

My throat tickled preventing me from talking. After I passed out, I woke up in the hospital. No one knew who rescued me. I never got to see their faces. My parents refused to tell me what they knew. I did know they had prevented any visitors that wasn't strictly family and Mr. Keys.

I also knew my health was deteriorating. Despite the many tests in the last few days, the doctors hadn't been able to tell my parents what was wrong with me. The only help I could give the doctors was telling them about the weird serum Antoine had given me. As for the Purists, maybe, they had done something, but I couldn't remember anything.

"Is she asleep?" Dad asked.

"Just for a few minutes," Mom replied.

I wanted to open my eyes but I didn't have the strength to do so.

"What did Mr. Keys say?" Mom continued.

Dad didn't speak. Then, "he's working on it."

What did that mean? Were they pressing charges against Antoine? Knowing vampires, they'd probably wiggle themselves out of trouble. Other than Alexander, I was the only one else that would testify against him. Considering how my parents were treating the Royal family, maybe asking Alexander for help was the last thing they'd do.

I groaned, letting them know I was awake.

"Rin?" Dad asked.

I felt his hand on my head. "I-I'm awake," I forced out.

"How are you feeling today?"

"Better."

I forced my eyes opened. My parents smiled at him. I could tell they've been crying. I doubted they had gone home and if they had, they'd probably came right back.

"You eat?" I asked both of them with a heavy breath.

My parents shared a look.

"Don't worry about us," Mom said quickly.

"We had plenty to eat," Dad added.

I seriously doubted that.

Instead, I said, "okay," with a long sigh.

"It's almost lunch time," Dad continued. "I'm sure they cooked something delicious up for you."

My liquid diet had no taste. Nothing did. What was the point of eating? It didn't bring me any strength. It made me feel even more tired than before.

"That's good," I slurred out. 

I prepared myself for one more question. It was one my parents had been avoiding for a long time.

"What happened to me?" I whispered.

Neither of my parents spoke. They always stayed silent when I asked. Was it really that bad? Why wouldn't they tell me?

"Please," I began but the word got stuck in my throat.

I coughed; my chest burned with every cough. Mom was immediately at my side, rubbing my back. Dad helped me drink some water. Winded, I laid back. I didn't have the strength to keep my eyes after that. 

Throughout the day, a few nurses came by and spoke to my parents but their voices were too low for me to hear. It's not like they would tell me anything. So, I slept. Most of the days I slept. On one such night, I felt warmth next to my neck. I moved my head to the warmth.

'Did I wake you?'

Alexander's voice in my mind was soothing. It was enough to bring tears to my eyes. It was hard to ignore the aching of my body.

Unable to speak, I shook my head. Or so I thought I did.

'How are you feeling?' he asked.

I was tired of people asking me that. No matter how many times they asked, I still felt the same. I wasn't getting better. Did my lies comfort them so much? I wanted to scream but I didn't have enough strength for that either. So instead, I cried. My chest heaved. 

The bed dipped under sudden weight. "Please don't cry," Alexander said. "I'm sorry. I'll go if you don't want me here."

I shook my head and turned to him. Alexander snuggled close to me. Or so I thought he did. All I knew was that his arms were around me and his head rested against mine. 

"It's alright," he said. "I'm here. No one is going to hurt you."

I wanted desperately to believe him. But everything hurt. I was still hurting. But he was here with me, comforting me, despite the obstacles. At this point, I felt sorry for myself. It was the only thing I was able to do. So, instead, I cried until I fell asleep.