Breach

Now that Alexander had returned to being a vampire, there was no rest. I often saw him and Noah on the evening news stating the obvious - that vampirism didn't need to be cured. Vampires were not a disease. It's who they were.

Alexander urged everyone to band together to expel those who would sow discourse and hate. He even promoted the charity ball in November to celebrate years of co-existence. I knew from past charity balls a portion of that money went to scholarships and improving infrastructure.

With the renewed advertisement for the charity ball, Royal Prints worked non-stop every day. Rachel and I ran around verifying orders and sending print orders to (almost) everyone. On my days off, I caught up on school work. There were days when I had to stay up late finishing everything before the break.

Alexander tended to join me on those days. We sat side-by-side, typing away at our computers. Yawning, I looked at Alexander's computer.

"We haven't done that yet," I said.

"It's in the second semester," he said. "I want to finish a few classes now to have more time for my crown prince duties."

That woke me up. "Since when?"

"First day of school," he answered. "I figured the fast-track program was better for me." He shrugged. "Fell a bit behind due to being human, but I'm almost caught up."

I frowned. "Are you trying to graduate early?"

He shrugged again. "Not sure. Just felt the regular classes were slow. Plus, now more than ever, the public needs to see me. Being at school for 8 hours a day is less than ideal."

"We got to school half a day," I reminded him.

He flashed me a smile. "True."

"Well, I know where to go if I need a tutor."

"You're doing great on your own. You don't need my help."

"Then, study buddies?"

He bumped my shoulder with his. "Someone is eager to spend with me," he teased.

"Maybe." I sighed. "Sometimes it feels if I blink, you'll disappear."

"I'm not going anywhere, okay?"

I nodded. "I know. It's just a feeling."

"Why don't you call it a night?" he asked. "Aren't you meeting Mr. Adams tomorrow?"

I groaned. "Yeah. There's so much to learn and remember."

Alexander kissed me. "Go to sleep. I'll stick around."

Sleepily, I nodded. "Okay."

Unfortunately, time didn't stand still.

In a blink of an eye, the charity ball was upon us. This time isn't wasn't just me attending. As ambassadors, my parents were also required to attend.

It was 5 am, and my parents rushed around the house. I was in the living room, flipping through Saturday morning cartoons. In one hand, I had the remote. On the other hand, I had French toast sticks smothered in syrup.

"Rin," Mom said, rushing into the living room. "Why aren't you dressed yet? They want us at the ballroom in an hour. The limousine is on its way."

I glanced at her. She wore a jewel neckline dress and looked like she was working on her hair.

"Mom, they'll dress us there. There's no need to dress fancy now."

"What's going on?" Dad asked. He wore a white dress shirt and black trousers.