A Cure

My recovery didn't last. Like clockwork I was once again unable to muster the energy to open my eyes. Though I wasn't able to see them, I could almost sense my parents. Their hands held my own and their whispers drew me into calm sleep.

There was one instance when I opened my eyes and didn't realize I was awake. Turning my head slowly, I noticed my parents weren't around. Even Alexander wasn't here. A panic settled in my chest. I didn't want to be alone. What if I couldn't open my eyes anymore? I needed someone here.

I groped for the call button and with every ounce of my strength, I pushed it. What seemed like eternity, a nurse finally walked in.

"Miss Borek," he said. "You're awake." He stepped closer. "How are you feeling? What can I get for you?"

I tried to speak but I couldn't form the words.

"Your parents are on the way," he said. "They stepped out to talk to the doctor."

I managed a nod. The nurse adjusted my blanket and even helped me drink water by raising the cup to my lips. I could only manage a small smile at him as a thank you.

A few minutes later my parents walked in. It was only for a moment but I could tell something was wrong. Behind them entered Dr. Daniels and Alexander. The nurse took his leave but the silence remained.

"How are you feeling?" Mom asked, sitting beside the bed. "I'm sorry we couldn't be here when you woke up."

She leaned forward and kissed my forehead.

"I'm okay," I whispered.

I looked at my Dad but he didn't meet my gaze. I turned to Dr. Daniels and he was busy looking at his clipboard. Then, Alexander. I expected to see a smile but he had his head down and his hands were in his pockets.

My chin trembled. I did my best to put on a smile. "What's the bad news?" I asked.

Mom gasped. She covered her mouth with her hands. "N-no," she tried to say.

"It's not working," Dr. Daniels blurted out. "My treatment. It's not working."

Everyone in the room shot him a glare.

I leaned back against the pillow. "Yeah," I said.

"Doctor," Dad warned.

"I want to hear him," I told him. "Doctor. Do you have a solution?"

"My treatments are temporary. Administrating them helps but the effects don't last."

"Right. And I might become resistant to it."

"Yes," Dr. Daniels replied, "but I've found a way to make the treatment permanent."

Dad made a noise in the back of his throat. I glanced at Mom and she couldn't look me in the eye.

"What is it?"

This time Alexander spoke. "Do you remember when I became human?" he asked.

"Yeah but that didn't last."

"We know why now," he said. "The bullet injected me a serum. It was the same serum given to you."

My heart raced and everyone knew it.

"Go on," I whispered.

"Well, let's just say my return to a vampire is a story for another day. But Dr. Daniels's can used that serum to . . ."

"Make me better?" I guessed.

"Something like that," Alexander replied.

I looked at my parents. "What are the side effects?"

"You won't stay human," Mom whispered. "Not entirely."

Feeling dizzy, I closed my eyes. This was too much. What they were saying . . . It didn't seem possible. I'd never considered the possibility.

"Rin?" Mom asked, worried.

My monitors started going crazy. My chest grew heavy. I couldn't breathe.

"See, we shouldn't have told her," I heard Dad say.

"Out," Dr. Daniels ordered.  

It took a while to get me to calmed down. They gave me sedatives. Exhaustion kicked in and so I slept.

When I woke, I saw Alexander sitting by the bed, reading a book. I hoped my parents had gone home to rest.

I watched him for a few moments.

"Like what you see?" he teased.

I smiled. "Yeah."

He closed his book but didn't give me a kiss. I pouted.

"No kiss?" I asked.

This time, he stood and kissed my forehead. I expected him to sit on the bed but he returned to the chair.

"What's wrong?" I asked.

He smiled. "How are you feeling?"

Two could play at that game. "What did you mean by that's a story for another time?"

We looked at each other.

"Rin," he began.

"Alexander," I said. 

He sighed. "It was my mom," he finally replied. "Mom gave me the antidote."

I frowned. "What?"

"When we visited," he said bitterly. "I only got better after we visited her. Why would she have the antidote, Rin?"

I bit my lip.

"So, my mom ordered my assassination."

"Alexander," I said. "You don't know for sure."

He looked at him. "We found a lot of evidence of her involvement. Noah and I couldn't stay still. We've been scouring everywhere for information. Carlos gave us some useful tips."

"I'm sorry," I whispered.

He shrugged. "You had your suspicions from that start."

"I wasn't one-hundred percent sure," I began.

"I just . . . My mom. My own mom. Why? That's what I don't understand. Why would she do all this?"

I shifted to him, trying to hold him. Instead, he stood and paced around.

"Sorry," he said. "I shouldn't dump this on you when you're here."

"I'm not a stranger," I reminded him. "I'm sorry I haven't been there for you."

"But we can use my mom's poison to help you," he suddenly said. "We can turn it into something good." Then, "only if you want to."

Shyly, he glanced at me and away.

I could only smile. That's what he was worried about. It's probably the same reason why my parents wouldn't look at me earlier.

"Alexander," I said. "I made my choice to be with you. If Dr. Daniels's treatment works, then I get to stay with you longer than I dreamed."

He joined on the bed. "What?" he asked. "What did you say?"

I grabbed his hand. "I'm saying that I'll go through with it," I told him. "Come what may, I want to be with you."

Alexander closed his eyes. "I didn't - I hoped you would. But your parents -"

"They'll understand," I whispered. "I know that if I don't get the treatment, I won't have much time left."

He looked at me. "I don't want to force you," he began.

"You're not. This just works out for us."

Alexander hugged me.

I patted his back. "You're not going to get rid of that easily," I teased. "You're mine."

Silently, he nodded into my shoulder. "I'm yours."