Back-Up Plan

Alexander didn't call me the rest of the day. Not even a message. I woke with my cellphone in hand at 10% battery.

As I got ready, I charged it. Still no message. Did he forget or was he avoiding me?

On the way to school, I used mom's cellphone to browse the web as mine charged.

"Did you know Alexander had sibl­ings?" I asked.

"Hmm? Well, King Rothchester has ten wives," she replied.

"That doesn't answer my question though."

Mom's ears turned pink.

"Gosh mom. I'm not asking how vampires make babies." I shook my head.

Why did her train of thought go that way? Either way, she never answered my question. Mom and said our good-bye's awkwardly. Seemed like I needed to wait to get my answers. If I thou­ght about it, I wondered if Alexander would tell me.

At my locker, I searched online for any mention of siblings but there wasn't much coverage. Maybe that was intentional.

Someone cleared their throat behind me. I twirled around and saw Carlos. A pang of guilt hit me.

"Hey," I said, "Sorry about the other day. I was out of line."

He shrugged and casually leaned against the lockers. '"So, you don't want me to look into it?"

He got me there.

"It's not fair that I did," I said." And I don't want to get you in trouble."

Carlos shrugged. "It's my choice. plus, I feel like I owe you. Surprised you're even talking to me."

"I don't know," I said, truthfully. "It's not like I've forgotten anything but holding a grud­ge is not my style." I shrugged. "At least, not anymore. I'm trying to do like better."

"Well, I did look into it," he said. "Forums are crazy places. People like to talk. It's mostly humans though."

I frowned. "Oh."

"I'll keep looking and let you know if I find anything."

"It's mostly for attention. There are so many weirdos out there. Trust me."

I couldn't bring myself to say anything. Camellia had been clear-though she hadn't explicitly said anything.

"Be careful," I whispered. "In all honesty, you shouldn't be doing this."

Carlos grinned. "You do care."

I rolled my eyes.

"Don't worry. I got this."