Not a Promise

Alexander stayed with me as Dr. Daniels examined me. Other than the sudden blood loss, nothing else was wrong. Trevor brought treats to help me feel better. Alexander helped me sit up and held the orange slices and nuts to eat. He practically spoon-fed me.

I turned away from the last orange slice. "Dr. Daniels is waiting for you," I told him.

"It's fine," Alexander began.

"Go and come back quickly," I said.

The guilt was evident on his face. He cupped my face and planted a kiss on my forehead.

"Go," I repeated.

Nodding, he kissed my forehead again before following Dr. Daniels out. Free from him and Dr. Daniels, I laid down. Shaking, I touched my neck. My chin trembled. Swallowing a lump in my throat, I closed my eyes, breathing deeply.

"Miss Borek?" Trevor asked.

Taking a deep breath, I sat back up.

"I'm good."

As I waited for Alexander's return, I ate more nuts and drank water. Gradually, I didn't feel so terrible. The minutes ticked by, and I was sure Alexander wouldn't return anytime soon. Trevor stayed with me, making sure I stayed alright.

"Could you help me to the desk?" I asked Trevor. "I want to get some work done."

"Is that a good idea?"

"I'm okay," I told him.

"I'll have Diana come stay with you."

"Thanks."

A few minutes later, I sat at Alexander's desk with Diana handing me a cup of yogurt. I was a little slow, pulling my laptop out of my backpack and setting it up. Seeing me struggle, Diana helped me plug it in.

"Has the King been notified?" I asked.

"Yes," she replied. "The family are on the way now."

As I ate my yogurt, I tried to focus on my homework. I had finished an online quiz when Noah dashed into the office.

"Alexander is with Dr. Daniels," I began.

"Are you alright?" he asked. "I rushed over as soon as I heard."

A little taken back, I couldn't reply for a few moments.

"I'm fine," I finally managed to say. "You didn't have to check up on me. Dr. Daniels gave me a bill of health."

He shrugged. "The meeting was over with anyways. But are you sure you're alright?"

"Definitely."

"I hope I didn't take you away from anything."

"Been working with . . . a few leads," he said. "Mostly been working on investigating the Extremists." He glanced at Diana. "Nothing so far."

"You're here."

We turned and saw Violet. She wore a beige pantsuit.

"She's fine," Noah quickly told her. "Aren't you busy with collateral damage?"

A smile of relief appeared on Violet's face at the news. "I've talked to many reporters," she told him. "It's never-ending, but it's out of control. At this point, anything I say might not matter."

"What do they want?" I asked.

Violet waved away my question. "Focus on resting. I want Dr. Daniels to examine you again before you go home. Please know Alexander isn't like this."

"The changes suddenly happened," Noah supplied. "He wasn't in control of himself. Not like he isn't normal, but it was weird this time."

Looking between them, I couldn't help but notice their frowns and how their feet shifted.