Second Breakfast

While rummaging through my closet, I managed to find an old pair of sweat pants that were just too big on me but a little bit small on Alexander. I had enough large t-shirts to fit him comfortably.

"Is this necessary?" Alexander asked. "Why can't I go in my regular clothes?"

I shoved the clothes into his arms. "We don't want anyone to recognize you," I explained. "Hence, the clothes."

My goal was to play this off as two kids skipping school. Plus, no one would ever think Prince Rothchester would wear these clothes. 

Focusing on our image helped me keep the panic at bay. How does a vampire go to sleep and wake up a human the next day? Vampires were born. Not created. At least, that was what we were led to believe. One simply did not stop being a vampire. Something must have caused it.

When Alexander returned from dressing,  he was almost difficult to recognize. He pulled off the tired student look. His eyes were a little red too. 

"You can keep your shoes," I said. "We don't have too much time to search for a pair that fits you."

Wordlessly, Alexander approached and hugged me. He breathed in. I stood still for a moment. He was warm. 

"I always liked the way you smelled," he muttered.

I frowned. "Uh, thanks?"

"I appreciate it now a bit more,'' he said. "I don't mean to make it sound creepy."

"I think I understand what you meant." I wiggled free. "Joseph is almost here," I told him. "We have to get ready."

"You shouldn't talk about other men when you're with your boyfriend." 

"Joseph is my chauffeur," I reminded him. "He doesn't count." 

"Come on, let's get something to eat."

His eyes lit up. 

I made boiled eggs and made some toast. We didn't have time for anything fancy. Alexander didn't care, he gobbled down everything.

"S 'good," he said. He looked like he meant it.

I couldn't help it, I grabbed my phone and took a picture. He frowned.

"You're cute," I told him.

His ears turned pink. The camera went click again. This was going to be interesting. 

Just as we finished, Joseph sent me a message. I peeked outside the window and saw the car.
We left the house with my backpack in tow (with a laptop). Joseph took one good look at us but didn't comment. Smart.

"Morning," he said, wiping his hands. "Off to school?"

"Later," I told him. "We need to go somewhere first."

Joseph hesitated.

I didn't explain anything else. We got into the car and Joseph stayed outside.

"You think he's going take us? "Alexander asked.

"I'm sure his contract says not to ask questions," I told him.

Moments later, Joseph got into the car.

"Where to?"

I nudged Alexander and he gave Joseph the address.

"Isn't that," he began.

"The sooner the better," Alexander interrupted.

"Please," I added.

Joseph nodded, curtly. Alexander wasn't known for his subtleness. Plus, he was used to people following orders. Joseph might suspect something but it was better if e didn't. No one could know what happened.