It Happened

I met with Mr. Adams after school the next day. Joseph drove me to an etiquette studio downtown. I munched on a chicken wrap on the way there. To be honest, I wasn't expecting much. As long I didn't say the wrong thing, I doubted Alexander's mom would dislike me . . . that much.

"You sure have been keeping busy," Joseph said, stopping at a light.

"I need to step up my game," I told him. "I don't want to be used as a weak point for the royal family."

"No one would dare."

I shrugged. "Maybe but I don't want to risk it."

As I finished the rest of my chicken wrap, I thought about Alexander. Hopefully, one day, I'd be able to stand by his side and help him. This was one of the many obstacles I needed to get through.

The studio was a two story building. As I entered, a cool blast of air greeted me. Looking around, it was a cute period room with furniture right out of one of those period dramas my mom liked to watch so much. A man stood behind a desk, wearing a monocle.

"Good afternoon," I said, approaching. "My name is Rin Borek. I have an appointment with Mr. Adams."

"Yes, one moment."

The man reached under the desk and brought out a large leather book. He flipped a couple of pages before looking up at me again.
"Please take a seat. He'll be with you in a moment."

I didn't have to wait long. Mr. Adams walked from around the corner a few minutes later. He wore a well-fitted suit and his sand-colored hair was groomed to one side. He smiled and bowed.

"Welcome, Miss Borek. Let's talk inside."

Drying my hands on my clothes, I followed him. He led me to a the first door past the reception desk. It was small space with a round table and two chairs. On it, was a tray of sweet and tea.

"Made fresh," he told me. "Please take a seat."

He poured me a cup.

"Thanks."

Mr. Adams poured a cup for himself. "Now, I understand you are meeting the Queen Consort?"

"Yes.

"That doesn't give much time to work with."

"I want to learn how to properly greet her and other mannerisms to know while I'm around other royal members."

Mr. Adams took a sip of his tea. "Though you won't have much time to practice, we can at least start you with the foundations. I suggest we start today."

"Sure, I'll let chauffer know."

I quickly sent a message to Joseph asking him to take a break for a few hours. Mr. Adams took me to one of the wide rooms on the second floor. It reminded me of a dance room or ballet room with mirrors on every wall. The room was small but it was enough to work with.

"To be honest, I didn't know you had an etiquette class," I said.

"It was a business needed, I believe," he replied. "After my time with Prince Rothchester, I believed it was time for a career change. I do offer some private tutoring now and again."

I thought back to last year. Considering how Alexander behaved, I wasn't surprised. Mr. Adams gave me a key to the lockers by the far wall. Once I got everything put away, we began right away. First step was walking in a 'proper' manner.

I felt like a goose to be honest but I was probably walking incorrectly. Considering the timeline, I also had practice greeting the Queen Consort (played by Mr. Adams).