To the Future

A plate of appetizers waited for me back in the dressing room. As Jayla gathered her tools, I grabbed a few mini sliders and gobbled them up. I had eaten three when Jayla grabbed me by the shoulders.

"Let's get you ready," she said.

This would be the last outfit for the night. Afterwards, I could sleep and rest as long as I wanted. Jayla fixed my hair adding ornaments all to match the long, sequin gown. The top was sleeveless, with a square neck line while the skirt had a layered petal style; small petal sprouted from the waist and got bigger on the way down into a sweep train. The heels with this dress wouldn't be so tall. My feet cried when I slipped into them.

Adorned with earrings, a heavy necklace, and my ring, I was ready to go when Alexander arrived to escort me. As soon as he saw me, he held his arm out.

"We're almost done," he said. "You're doing great."

I smiled tiredly at him.

As Alexander led me to the ballroom, I leaned against him.

"Have we heard anything?" I whispered.

"Nothing I would tell you about," he confessed.

My stomach twisted and it had nothing to do with the food I'd ate. Even though this had been my plan, I knew nothing of what was going on with it at the moment. I hadn't noticed anything during the night. If nothing happened, that would be great but we would be no closer in finding who was behind all of this.

Tonight was the perfect opportunity for someone to try something . . . Anything. If the Extremist were really interested in sowing chaos then attacking such a happy occasion was almost a must. Or maybe they knew this was a setup. Well, it wasn't. Only part of it was.

"Don't bite your lip," Alexander said.

I stayed quiet all the way to the ballroom. We stopped at the double doors.

"Let's enjoy this," he said. "It's our party."

I managed a smile. "Sure."

As the door opened, music swelled and all the attendees clapped. I froze. Was there always so many people? Alexander gently pushed me inside. The guests parted as we walked through the room. I focused on the far table on the opposite side of the room. King Lionel and Violet were seated at the table. They too stood as everyone else did. The only one who was missing was Noah.

As we reached the table, we turned and faced the crowd.

"Thank you for such a gracious welcome," Alexander said. "We are honored so many have joined us on this happy occasion."

As he talked, I looked out at the crowd. There were some guests that I hadn't seen before. I may have seen Lady Hargrave but I wasn't too sure. I had expected her to show up during the greeting but I never saw her. Perhaps that was a good thing.

When the speech ended, the music changed. The guests moved back opening up the dance floor. Our first dance would single the start of the party. Alexander led me to the dance floor. My mouth went dry. What if I messed up? But Alexander didn't stop to consider that.

Once moment we stood still, the next moment, we were moving. I remembered to pick up the skirt of my dress in one hand so I wouldn't trip over it. Thanks to Alexander, I had nothing to worry about. For a moment, I forgot about everything and everyone.

It was only us in the room. Despite everything, we were still here, together. In his arms, I was safe. I was happy.

The music ended all too soon. We stopped at the center of the room. We bowed to each other before walking up to the table and sitting next to King Lionel and Violet. Once we seated, the guests started moving around. Staff walked among them handing out refreshments.

King Lionel and Violet stood. I tried standing, but Alexander stopped me.

"Have a great night," Violet said. "You'll have more fun when we aren't here."

"Oh and don't forget to mingle," King Lionel added. He winked at me when he said that.

Once they had departed, the noise in the room got louder as if they had been given permission to talk.

"You think you can handle mingling?" Alexander asked.

"I think I can manage that," I said.

"We'll stay for a few minutes then we can go."

"Are you sure?" I asked.

"The formalities are usually for royalty. The party is for everyone else to be honest."

"In that case, let's go mingle."

Once Alexander and I stepped onto the floor again, we were immediately surrounded. Guests congratulated us once again, offering us drinks. Alexander politely declined them all on our behalf. Not sure what to say, I smiled.

"Alright, enough of this," Lady Hargrave said. "Off you go. Let them enjoy their party."

My stomach knotted.

"You two make a lovely couple," Lady Hargrave continued. "I'm amazed so much was done in so little time."

"We wanted an occasion for everyone to celebrate."

"Sounds like a bit of a rush," she replied.

"Nothing like that," Alexander said. "This is when we had planned on having our ceremony. We didn't want the situation to deter us."

"Well, if I had known," she said. "I might have been able to help." She aimed that one at me.

"It was all my idea," Alexander interjected. "Perhaps I was too hasty."

"I would have helped," Lady Hargrave repeated.

"We have yet to marry," he said. "Perhaps we can get your help with that one in the future."

The smile on her face froze or maybe I imagined it.

"Then let's make a toast to the future," she suggested.

Lady Hargrave waved a staff over. She passed us each a glass. The mixture inside mine bubbled.

"Don't worry," Lady Hargrave tole me. "It's nonalcoholic."

I glanced at Alexander then down at the drink. Had there been time to do something with my drink? I glanced around. There were too many people. She wouldn't try something like that in front of others, right?

"To the future," Alexander said, raising his glass.

"T-to the future," I stammered out.

"To the future," Lady Hargrave joined in.

I brought the drink to my lips. It smelled sweet. I took a tentative sip. It was refreshing. In no time at all, I finished it all.

"Enjoy your night," Lady Hargrave said. "I won't stick around to ruin anything you two have planned. Good-bye."

With a slight bow, she walked away.

"I'm glad to see she was in good spirits," Alexander said. "She tends to get jealous when she's left out."

"I hope she doesn't retaliate," I joked.

"She'll behave," Alexander said. "Now she knows we can do act on our own without permission. I don't think she'll want to get pushed away any further."

I looked out into the crowd but didn't see Lady Hargrave. "I hope you're right."