Served

I didn't hear any of the auction until the anvil hit the podium. I flinched at the sound. Lady Hargrave took my hand and patted it.

"It's such a successful auction," she said. "Aren't you glad it's going well? Unnecessary drama doesn't have a place here."

My eyes stung.

"If you'll excuse me," I began.

Her grip tightened. "We're not done yet," she said.

I blinked rapidly under the bright lights. I glanced at the stage exit. Alexander was nowhere in sight. He said he would be here. We should have been attending together.

Lady Hargrave's grip was cold and felt like a shackle. I couldn't move my hand away.

I cleared my way. "Lady Hargrave," I croaked. "It seems I need a restroom break. Please excuse me."

For a moment, I thought she wouldn't let me go. However, she smiled and released me.

"Of course, take as long as you'd like."

Smiling, I stood, curtsied, and walked off the stage. I immediately found the restroom and shut myself in there. My chin trembled. I shook my head. Nope, I couldn't do that. I shouldn't do that.

Instead, I dabbed my eyes, trying not to smear my makeup.

"It's okay," I said aloud. "Don't cry. It's not like she rejected your relationship with her in front of many elite people who will spread it to everyone they know."

Oh, wait. She had done that.

"It's for charity," I whispered.

If she didn't like me, why go through all this trouble? Was it because Alexander had been there? If Alexander had been here, would she not have sold the brooch? It was hard to tell. It seemed like it had been part of the original plan, to begin with.

A sharp knock came from the door. "Miss Borek," said the bodyguard. "The last section is about to start."

How long had I been in the restroom? "I need a few more minutes," I called out.

I looked at myself in the mirror. While I hadn't cried exactly, my eyes were bloodshot read. I dabbed my eyes some more, but it wasn't helping. I couldn't go out like this.

Taking my phone out of my pocket, I texted Diana. First, I needed eye drops, and second, she needed to find an excuse to get me out of there. And lastly, to find out where Alexander was.

A few moments later, Diana texted me back. 'Give me ten minutes.'

The guard outside the restroom knocked again. I didn't give him a chance to speak.

"Summon my attendant," I called out. "I've had a little mishap with my dress."

Ten minutes later, Diana walked into the restroom.

"Rin," she said, hurrying to my side. "What happened?"

I shook my head. "Do you have the eye drops?"

With her help, I squeezed a few drops into my eyes. Hopefully, the redness would be gone soon.

"Have you heard anything about His Highness?" I asked.

"No. I left messages but am still waiting for someone to get back to me. And there's no other engagement that needs your presence."

Tiredly, I leaned against the wall. Could I go back to the auction room in this condition? Would Lady Hargrave allow me to leave?

"Miss Borek," the guard called out. "You're needed in the auction room."