A Traitor Among Us

'Traitor in the Royal Family. The 10th wife unmasked!'

I glared at my cellphone screen, blinding me with its bright light in the otherwise dark room. It was five in the morning and the Public Service Announcement had decided it's tabloid headline couldn't wait. I turned the announcement off and wrapped myself up with my blanket. It was too early to deal with this right now. 

An hour and a half later I finally got out of bed and got ready for school. My parents were in the living room when I went downstairs. They sat in front of the television. Mom wasn't one to usually watch the news in the morning. 

"What's going on?" I asked.

"Apparently, we're an accessory to crime," Mom answered matter-of-factly. 

"What?" 

I joined them on the couch. The news anchor didn't say much. Long story short, Violet's supposed involvement in Alexander's assassination had come to light. No surprise there. However, it didn't stop there. Apparently, Violet and my parents had worked together and had me lure Alexander to the kill spot where the assassin could do it's job.

"What?" I asked again. "This is - it's so . . . what?"

"Someone is trying too hard," Dad said.

"How are you so calm?" I asked. "They're blaming us for Alexander's near death experience. Everyone is going to be against us. Our neighbors. Your job. The school."

Mom patted my back. "Rin, anyone that knows us wouldn't believe something like this."

"But we don't know the whole world," I said. "Everyone is going to come after us."

"We can't hide," Mom said. "We need to live our lives normally."

"What if you get arrested?" I asked. "Public outcry is a powerful thing."

"They don't have any evidence," Dad supplied. "They fabricated Violet's involvement but there was nothing about us. We're fine."

I stood and walked out of the living room. Was I the only one taking this seriously? Did they know something I didn't? My phone rang and I answered it before looking at the caller.

"Hello?" I said. 

"Miss Borek," said an unfamiliar voice.

"Who is this?" I looked at my phone. 'Unknown caller.' 

"Seems like you're in possession of our rogue agent."

I froze. It was never good when the vampire mafia called you on your cell. 

"What do you want?" I asked. "I don't have anything. Shouldn't you be out there helping the truth come to light?"

"We don't spread miscommunication," the voice began.

"Who's side are you on?" I asked. "Violet and my parents are being attacked. So are the ambassadors and even Alexander. You've done nothing."

"The battle for the throne is not our concern."

"Battle? Who's fighting for the throne? Alexander has been crowned and -"

I trailed off. I hadn't thought of that before. 

"Does someone want Alexander off the throne?" I asked. "Or to keep him on it?"

"Sounds like you have much to think about."

"But why attack Alexander? It doesn't make sense."

"That's for you to figure out. Now, about our rogue agent. We know you've been aiding her. That is a crime -"

"Isn't that your fault?" I asked. "You made it so she ran away from you. That just means you're lousy bosses that don't listen to their employees. They're not dolls that don't think for themselves."

"Miss Borek," the voice warned. "You don't want us as an enemy."

"Enemy?" I asked. "You barely do anything anyways what do I have to worry about? But, I'll tell you what. I'll relay your message and if your former employee wants to talk to you then she will. Bye."

I ended the call. Probably not the smartest idea but I didn't have time to deal with them. They were never helpful to begin with. Not only did they kidnap me, they made me watch Cassidy and Alexander get engaged. Besides, they knew something about what was going on with Lady Hargrave. It had to be the reason why they wanted Camellia. She had learned something they didn't want her to know. 

My phone rang again. These mafia folks never quit, do they?

"If you say something dumb one more time," I answered.

"Rin?" Alexander asked.

I gasped. "Alexander?"

"Is everything alright? Did something happen?"

"Yeah no. Sorry. I got a stupid call. I'm so sorry."

"You had me worried for a moment. We saw the news."

"It's ridiculous," I immediately said. "Who would benefit from something like this? What do they want?"

"I know baby, I know. Listen, I'll take care of it. Focus on the ceremony. I'll make sure nothing happens to your parents."

What would I do without him? He really knew how to make me feel better.

"Okay," I told him. "I'll leave it to you."

Despite Alexander's assurance, I couldn't leave it alone. Someone was out there attacking everyone I loved. I couldn't let them get away with it. 

"Rin," he said.

"Yeah?"

"I'm sorry."

"What do you mean?"

"About getting your parents involved. I'll look into the leak. Sorry it had to happen."

"We kind of knew it was going to happen," I told him. "Someone is out there trying to make drama so I don't blame them for using this tactic. How's Violet? She must be devastated."

"After everything she's done to promote co-existence, one bad tabloid ruins all her efforts," he said. "But she's still going about her day like nothing's happened."

"Yeah, I guess that's all we can do ourselves too."

"Rin? Promise me something."

I bit my lip. "Hmm?"

"Don't confront my mother directly."

I gaped at my phone. "What makes you think I'll do that? I'm not stupid. Besides, we don't know if this is your mom's handiwork."

"I know you suspect her."

"Yeah but I'm not dumb. Don't worry about me. I'm not going to do anything stupid. Have some faith." 

"You're right. Sorry."

"I'll call you later. Bye."

I stared at my phone for a long time. Did he not trust me? Did he think I was reckless? But at least he knew I didn't people going after my family. 

"Stay calm," I told myself. "Stick to the plan."

I wasn't going to do anything drastic. No. Maybe I would ask Alexander's fan club to help me with something but it wasn't going to be drastic.