Sleeping Beauty

Dr. Daniels took so much blood. My parents stood over him anytime he was in the room. The needles didn't bother me either. I could barely feel the pinch anymore. It was as if I was too tired to even feel afraid. It was disheartening.

He wanted to move me into a more private room but my parents declined. I might have heard from my doctor that moving me wasn't a good idea; whatever that meant.

At this point, I couldn't tell if I was awake or dreaming. I didn't know what day it was either.

Other than Alexander's secret visits, no one else was allowed to visit me. Not even my friends. I didn't mind. Most of the time I was too tired to see anyone. All I did was sleep.

"Hey, Sleeping Beauty," Alexander said one night (?). "I'm glad to see your eyes today."

I laughed but it ended in a groan. "Don't make me laugh," I said, wincing.

He kissed the top of my forehead. "At least I got to hear your laugh," he said. "Don't be too hard on me."

I snuggled into him, drained. "Thank you for being here. What did Dr. Daniels say?"

This time, he didn't speak. Then, "he's still doing a lot of tests."

"How long has it been?" I asked, "since he took my blood?"

"Doesn't matter," he told me. "He's still researching. He's not giving up."

"You don't have to lie to me," I rasped.

"He's looking," Alexander insisted. "He's never seen anything like this."

A lump formed in my throat. "I'm not getting better," I told him.

"Don't say that."

"It's the truth." I closed my eyes. Even the dim lights from the lamp hurt my eyes. "No one wants to tell me anything. So, I know it's bad news."

Alexander hugged me. "Rin, you'll get through this. We'll figure out what the Extremists did to you and you'll get better."

I couldn't force a smile. It was always the same story. When I did manage to talk to my doctor or my parents, they were so hopeful. Why was I the only one being realistic? I hadn't given up but I didn't want false hope. That would be more devastating.

"What have you been up to?" I asked him. "How's everyone on your end?"

He hesitated.

"You're going to keep me in the dark too?" I asked.

"Rin, don't say it like that."

I couldn't even look him in the eye. I couldn't even open my eyes.

"It's true," I forced out. "It's true."

I don't remember what he said after that.

#

"How are you feeling, Rin?"

I peeled my eyes opened and saw my mother smiling at me from her chair by the bed. She had my hands in hers but I couldn't feel her warmth. I looked around. It was day again or at least I thought it was. The blinds were closed. How long had I been asleep?

"Awake," I admitted.

Some of the fogginess was gone. My eyelids didn't feel as heavy.

My mom smiled. "Good to hear."

"Where's Dad?"

Mom gave me a small silence. "He's at work," she admitted. "He had to go in to take care of some things but he'll be back soon."

"Then, tell me what's going on. No one will talk to me. Mom, please."

Mom's chin trembled. "Well, let's see if I can," she said. "Your body is deteriorating. Dr. Daniel has found a solution to slow it down."

That explained why I felt wide-awake. "It's not permanent," I guessed.

Mom shook her head. "It's a band-aid. It can't be administered too much or you'll become resistant to it."

"There's progress," I rasped.

She nodded. "Um, the authorities are on the hunt for everyone involved in your kidnapping. The public didn't know so it hasn't received much news coverage."

"That's good," I said.

"Yeah, we told anyone that asked that you had your wisdom teething taken out and then got the flu which is why no one has seen you."

"Whatever works," I told her.

"Dr. Daniels is working towards a permanent solution," Mom assured me. "We just have to be hopeful and wait."

"Do you think Dad will agree?" I asked.

Mom's smile was strained. "He wants what is best for you," she said. "If this is our only solution then, we'll take it."

For the first time in a long time, my stomach growled. "Do you think I can get something to eat?" I asked. "I'm really hungry."

Mom covered her mouth. "Yes," she choked out. "I'll go get a nurse."

Mom tried to subdue her sobs as she watched me eat. Maybe Dr. Daniel had really found a way to help me. But like Mom said, it was a temporary solution. Well, if it was, I would take all advantage of it. Mom took a few pictures probably to send to my dad.

A part of me felt guilty for giving them hope. What if I didn't get better? It would devastate them. Then, I need to do everything I can to get out of here. Whatever treatment, Dr. Daniels found, I had to do it. So far, he proved that he could help. I just needed him to succeed. 

My dad arrived almost an hour. By that time, a nurse and Mom had helped me bathed, and I was in bed again. He hugged me tightly.

"Sorry I couldn't come earlier," he said.

"Work called you in?" I asked.

Dad gave me a look. "Well, let's just say our sick days are running out."

"John!" Mom said.

"I'm okay," I quickly said. "If you need to go back to work."

"Really?" Mom asked Dad. "This is why I didn't want you to tell her." She turned to me. "Don't worry, Rin. We're going to stay here with you. We aren't going to leave you."

Dad gave a sheepish look. "Don't worry about us." he said. "These days, management is really understanding."

It was nice seeing them with less worry on their faces. I hoped it lasted.