Digging for Information

I couldn't be happier when we finally got to school. This was definitely not a conversation I wanted to have again. It wasn't like our health teacher freshman year hadn't told us about safe sex. Apparently, Mom had wanted to give me a refresher.

"Bye Mom," I said, cutting her off mid-sentence.

She locked the door. "Rin, I'm not done."

I fought down a groan. "I'm going to be late for school."

"Better than being late next month."

"Mom!" I crossed my arms. "Vampires and humans can't have kids together. King Lionel said that. He would know, I think. I'll keep you posted from now on. Please, can I go now?"

She gave me a look. "Alright." Mom sighed. "You know I only want you to be safe, right?"

"I know, it's just . . . Alexander and I aren't really at the level of . . . intimacy."

She frowned. "Really?"

"Yes. So, can I please go?"

Mom kissed my head. "Bye. Have a good day."

I got out of there as quickly as possible. My face burned as I stopped by the cafeteria to get a quick breakfast. Normally, I wasn't hungry in the mornings but after a conversation like that, I needed something to distract myself. I was surprise Mom hadn't mentioned talking to Alexander about this morning. What if my mom called Violet or the King to talk about this?

Feeling the embarrassment again, I groaned. Don't think about it, I told myself. As I walked to my locker, I scarfed down a bacon, egg taco.

"Someone's hungry," Carlos said, falling into step beside me.

I shot him a look and continued eating. Carlos leaned forward.

"I've done some digging," he said. "About these new Extremists going around." He motioned to the hallway. "Not many vampires came to school today. We even got extra guards too. The Janitor said some people came in early today to check around the school."

We stopped at my locked. "What did you find?" I asked.

"These guys are old," he said. "Well, this group. They go back since the beginning. Never liked humans very much and always tried to disrupt anything that made humans and vampires buddy-buddy."

"Have they've been active?"

He shook his head. "Never to this extreme. They usually operate secretly and let others take the credit and blame."

"What changed?"

Carlos gave me a look. "You came into the picture."

"What?"

"Ever since it went public that Prince Rothchester is with a human, they started stirring."

Feeling weak, I leaned against the lockers. "I caused this?"

"What? No. This isn't your fault. These vampires have never liked humans. Sooner or later, they would have come out of the woodworks."

I glanced at him. "Never thought you would be so supportive of my relationship."

He looked away. "I'm not. But I also know Prince Rothchester had stopped being a menace to society since meeting you so, there's that."

Sighing, I rubbed my forehead. This was getting complicated.

"Alright, thanks. Just don't get caught. I don't want it to trace back to you."

Carlos grinned. "If you keep talking like that, I might think you like me a little bit."