Building Bridges

Alexander and Noah kept talking but I couldn't hear them. I couldn't understand what was going on. Why had they released such a video now? So far no one knew of what the gas could do to the officials. What was their end goal? So to confusion and chaos?

"Get ready to make a statement," Alexander told Noah. "Say we can't jump to conclusions and we're trying to verify the information."

As Noah left, I stood.

"Let's release Lisa," I said.

"No."

"Why not?" I asked, frowning.

"We need to give her time to cool off."

"By locking her up?"

"Rin, this is a sensitive time. We can't be hasty."

I crossed my arms. "Let me talk to her. I can convince her not to talk."

"What? No."

"Why not? Don't you trust me?"

He sighed. "It's not about trust."

"Seem like it is.

"I don't want to fight."

"This isn't a fight," I told him. "Let me talk to her and tell her some of what's going on. Lisa will understand and maybe we can have family members talking to their families. The officials can sign an NDA or something. Please."

He sighed again. "Alright. Go talk to her. I want you to be prepare if she refuses."

I walked up to him and gave him a peck on the lips. "Thanks."

One of the guards led me upstairs to the third floor where we stopped at a door. Two guards were posted inside. One of them unlocked it and ushered me in. The guard from before followed me.

Lisa paced around the room, arms across her chest. She didn't have her purse or phone. When we walked in, she didn't turn. The room itself was a bedroom with basic yet modern furniture. Except there were no window.

"Is it time for the good cop, bad cop routine?"

"There's no routine," I told her. "I know you have some questions and I want to help answer them."

"Really?" she scoffed. "I doubt they actually told you anything."

Ouch.

"Believe it or not, I'm trying to convince Alexander to let families talk to one another." I shrugged. "It hasn't gone anywhere but I'll keep trying."