Immobilized

Author's Note: Hello readers! Thank you so much for your patience. I know it's been a long time since the last update. This month has been super hectic for me. FYI - the story will be coming to an end soon but we still have some chapters before that happens. Thanks for all your continued support!

------

"I don't like it," Dad said. "We don't know what effect it will have or if you will get better."

Mom hadn't let go of my hand since that morning. They had been going home to get rest and take care of some things around the house. Neither looked like they got much rest though. At least they hadn't stayed at the hospital. I didn't want to keep them here all the time.

"I know," I told him, "but I want to try it. I've thought about it and, at this point, I don't have anything to lose."

"Rin, you might - you could die," Dad said.

There is was. The root of their worry. It was the root of my worry too.

I blinked away the tears. "Dad, I'm dying," I whispered. "Let's not pretend like I'm not. I'm not getting better."

"John," Mom said with a sob. "I don't want to lose my little girl."

Dad's eyes were red. "I want you to get better, you know that, right?"

"I know, Dad." I rubbed my eyes. "But, I'm ready to try anything. I don't want to be in the hospital anymore. I want to go back to my life. Sleep in my own bed. Shower on my own."

Mom stood from the chair and kissed my forehead. "If that's what you want," Mom said. "Get some rest. We'll talk to Dr. Daniels."

I saw a look pass between them. Maybe I was being selfish but I couldn't give up and do nothing. I knew my parents understood that but perhaps the means were a little too risky. I didn't blame them, but we really had no alternative.

"Okay," I said.

The next day, treatment started immediately. Dr. Daniels explained that he would inject me with the serum three times a day for three days. After those three days, my body should start adjusting to the serum. If not, then the treatment needed to be adjusted.

"You'll feel very weak," Dr. Daniels said. "I need you to fight through it."

I swallowed thickly. "Where's Alexander?"

"Dealing with Lady Hargrave," Dr. Daniels explained. "If you want to wait -"

I shook my head. "No. Let's start now." Before I change my mind.

The first injection felt like a prick. A coolness spread through my body.

Dr. Daniels set a timer. "I'll return in a few hours."

I was able to keep my eyes opened for the first few hours but then I started dozing. Dr. Daniels gave me the second dosage while I slept. All I remembered was how cold it got. I wrapped the blankets tightly around me and I couldn't stop shaking.

Mom woke me up and tried to feed me lunch but I couldn't bring myself to eat anything. Even during dinner, I managed a few bites but I couldn't hold anything down.

Dr. Daniels came by afterwards and administered the last dosage for the day.

I don't remember anything after that.

Ice pressed against my skin, burning. My joints were locked in place. If I tried to move in any way, pain flared across my body. So, I laid there unmoving. I couldn't bring myself to open my eyes, let alone speak. But I could hear voices. My parents called out to me but I didn't respond.

I could tell when Dr. Daniels came back. It was always colder. By the end of it, I felt like I'd turned into a block of ice. Every breath caused spikes of pain to burrow into my skin. My body felt heavy. I couldn't open my eyes. I couldn't bring myself to move even if I wanted to. So, I stayed still even as my mind wandered. I don't know if I slept.

As I lay there, all I could do was wait. Though I didn't know what I waited for.

My parents' voices were so clear. They spoke to me about their day and how Ian and Caleb's daughter, Annie had grown so much. They invited us to her birthday next month. They asked me what should we get her as a gift. I wanted to answer; I wanted to do something, anything.

But instead, I remained immobilized.

During the time when my parents weren't talking to me, I heard Alexander's voice. I was sure he would come at night when no one was around or when my parents were sleeping. He never told me what he was up to. He never told me how he was feeling or what had happened to his mom.

All he did was hold my hand. It was a ghostly touch almost. My body was so cold I could barely feel anything but I knew Alexander's touch. I knew how his fingers felt intertwined with mine. Even if it was a delusion, I wanted to believe in it. It was the only thing I could do.

"I'm here for you," he would say. "You're not alone. I'm waiting for you."

Despite him not saying much, I knew he was there for me. I knew I was never alone, even at night. My only regret was not being able to talk to him. 

In reality, all I could was wait. Wait until the cold was gone. Wait until I could move to tell my family and Alexander that I was fine.

It was a long wait.

I couldn't how long it had been. Dr. Daniels had never mentioned how long it would take to 'cure' me. He said three days for the injections but nothing else. Maybe he had told my parents. Maybe I had forgotten to ask. I suppose at this point, it didn't really matter.

The change happened gradually and by that I mean, I gained feeling in my fingertips. The cold lessened and it no longer hurt to breathe. I was being thawed. Every so often, I managed to twitch.

I could hear the excitement in my parent's voices. I might have actually slept for once. Or it could have been for days. The exhaustion hit all of a sudden. Like my body had battled against a cold or some other illness and I had somehow won. By some miracle.

And eventually, I opened my eyes.