Reply

Soon after the gas attack, the bidding ceremony came to a close. I stayed in the private room with Alexander and the others. The television played all the news stations on the gas attack. Images and video flashes across the screen. There were ambulances outside the building and all victims were taken to a special hospital it seemed.

As the bodyguards came and went into the room, I sat down on a couch. My body sighed. It was then I noticed my throbbing feet.

I contemplated kicking my heels off when I felt my phone buzz. I reached into my pocket and saw my mom's number flash across the screen. Groaning, I stood and stepped outside.

"Hey," I said. "I'm fine. Nothing happened here."

"You sure?" Mom asked.

"Yes, We're fine. I'll be home as soon as we can. I'm sure traffic is terrible."

"Rin." This was Dad. "Don't go off with strangers."

I rolled my eyes. "I know Dad. I'll see you later. Bye."

Before they could ask me anything else, I hung up.

"Your parents?"

I turned in time to see Alexander step out of the room. His eyes flickered up and down the hallway. He didn't need to worry. There were guards posted every fifteen feet.

"Yeah," I said. "They were checking up on me. You okay?"

"Hmm? Oh, yes. I'm fine."

I walked to him and hugged him around the waist. I was careful not to wipe any makeup on his clothes.

"Don't lie. After something like that there's no way anyone wouldn't freak out."

He smiled though it was strained. "Can't hide it from you, huh? You seem okay though."

"I think I'm glad that it didn't happen here. I mean, it's terrible but I feel relieved and I know I shouldn't. Is that bad?"

"I don't think it's strange," he said. "Everyone process things differently."

"It's crazy," I continued. "Someone had to make this gas that specifically targets vampires. All because of their hate." I shook my head. "Instead of thinking of something that would help so many people, they make something that only hurts. I don't understand."

Alexander rubbed my back. "We slumbered for a better future and yet some vampires want to continue their dominance."

"I remember you told me about that," I said. "Your great-great grandpa rebelled against it and had the different royal families rule for a time."

"Yeah," he said surprised. "Late, most of responsibility fell to my family but that's another story."