Loyalty

I woke to purring. At first, I thought Alexander had turned into a cat, but I could feel his arm resting around my waist. Was it a dream? Groggily, I turned my head, spotting Alexander in bed. So, who - ?

'Miss me?'

Rubbing my eyes, I finally saw a figure of a cat loafing beside me.

"Camellia," I whispered. "Where you've been? Are you safe now?"

She purred. 'Yes, I'm no longer being pursue. Prince Noah has granted me immunity.'

"You acted as a witness?"

'Yes.'

"I'm glad it all worked out." I rubbed my eyes again. They wouldn't stay awake.

'Me too.'

I moved onto my back. "Why are you here? It's so early."

'I heard you were worried about me.'

I smiled. "You can say that."

She shifted closer.

'You're different,' she suddenly said. 'Almost like - us, but not exactly.'

"Yeah," I said. "A lot of things happened after I got rescued. I'm still me.'

'I'm glad you're safe, Princess.'

Even in my half-asleep state, I cringed. "I heard you were going to trade yourself for me."

'It would have been an honor.'

"Don't try to do that in the future," I told her. "No one should trade themselves for me."

'I did it for everyone's future,' Camellia said. 'You haven't realized how important you are.'

"I don't want to be important," I whispered.

Camellia laughed. 'It's too late for that, Princess.'

I sighed. "I supposed it is."

'Here,' she said. 'Stand up. I need to give you something.'

Frowning, I said, "give me something?"

'Please. It'll take a moment.'

As careful as I could, I slipped out from under Alexander's arm and stood. Camellia reverted back to her vampire form. She knelt down, lowering her head.

"I, Camellia, offer my loyalty to Princess Rin -"

"W-wait a minute," I blurted out. "What are you doing?"

"It's rude to interrupt," Camellia told me.

My face flushed. "You don't have to give me your loyalty."

"It's something I want to do and I believe you have earned."

"But - I'm no one," I whispered.

"Why are you trying to belittle yourself?" She looked up at me. "This isn't like you. You've always dealt with situations head on."

"What if I don't live up to your expectations? What if I don't live up to anyone else's expectations?"

"If you keep acting like yourself, that would never happen. You have a good head on your shoulders, Rin."

"I don't know if I can stand the pressure."

She smiled. "You have your prince with you. As far as I've heard, you've captured many hearts."

I took a deep breath. "Sorry. I just - you can continue."

Camellia bowed her head. "I, Camellia, offer my loyalty to Princess Rin. I swear by my life that I will be faithful to Princess Rin. I will defend Her Highness against all enemies. I will obey all orders of Her Highness. If I were to breath this oath, may Her Highness strike me down."