AU - Hot Chocolate at the park

Holiday one-shot. Enjoy.

Rin looked at her watch for the tenth time in the last minute or so. They had agreed to meet in five minutes and he hadn't shown up yet.

A cold breeze swept through the
park. Shivering, Rin turned her back to the wind and adjusted her scarf. She had dressed as warmly as possi­ble without looking like a marshma­llow.

Excited voices and well-wishes echoed around her. Just a few feet away, tables and stalls had been set up for 'Holida­ys at the Park' event. Families and the community were encouraged to attend.

What if he changed his mind? They'd only known each other for a few weeks. It had been random too. What were the odds of both needing the same book for Art History?

The miraculous part was that they had agreed to share the book - the first of many study "dates". Except Rin couldn't call them dates. They studied then went their separate ways. Even when Rin would invite him for a snack or dinner or lunch he always had something to do.

So, when he had asked her to go with him to get hot chocolate at the park, Rin hadn't refused. Maybe she hadn't imagined all the looks or misunderstood all the awkward messages. He did seem reluctant to depart after their study sessions.

Tonight would be the night she would
figure out where they stood.

"Rin."

She looked up, startled. The surprise quickly turned to familiarity and comfort.

Alexander looked warm in his leather jacket and beanie. Even his jeans looked warmer than hers. Today, he didn't have his glasses on.

Rin waved at him. "Alexander," she call­ed.

His smile widened and he hurried
over.

"Rin," he said.

They stared at each other, drinking in each other's presence. Did his eyes always shine so brightly?

Alexander looked away first, face flus­hed.

"Did I keep you waiting? "he asked.

"No," Rin immediately said.

Then, he grinned and Rin wished she was brave enough to ask for a picture. He rubbed the back of his neck.

"Let's warm-up."

"How?"

The question left Rin's mouth before she could think. At the realization, her face turned red. She must look so desperate to him.

"I was thinking hot chocolate," he
said.

"Yeah, me too," Rin said.

They didn't move.

Shaking, Rin grabbed the loose fabric of his jacket and shelled him into the hot chocolate stall. Rin couldn't bring herself to look at him.

'At least he showed up,' she thought to herself.

Luckily, Ale­xander didn't protest. He walked beside her. Their elbows bumping.

They got in line for hot chocolate. There were other stalls as well with games, food, and shops. A Santa was walking around with balloons.

While it had gotten dark, it was still early. Rin didn't doubt more people and families would come out.

"I'll get it," Alexander said when it was their turn.

"Then, I'll get snacks," she told him.

A few minutes, they walked shoulder to shoulder with drinks and churros in both hands.