The Final Countdown

The time passed all too quickly, and the Ceremony was upon us.

I didn't get much sleep the night before. Instead, I called Alexander.

"Do you have some time?" I asked.

"Want me to come over?"

I rolled onto my back. After all the work and stress over the last few weeks, I was drained.

"You're busy," I reminded him. "Don't you have all those reports to look over?"

"That wasn't my question."

"Yes," I began, "but you're busy."

"Rin, I can make time. I'll be there in a moment."

"But-"I said.

"No buts," Alexander said.

I sat up. He stood at the foot of my bed, wearing sweatpants and a t-shirt.

"I thought you'd make a funny joke," I teased.

He rolled his eyes. "I'm past that."

We looked at each other for a while. To think we had come this far despite everything that had happened over the past year.

Wordlessly, Alexander joined me on the bed. He sat me on his lap, and I rested my head on his shoulder. I snuggled into him, content.

"Rough day?" he asked.

"No," I said. "But yeah. It's just everything. I don't like pretending everything is fine because it isn't."

He rubbed my back. "I know it's not. But don't; we'll unmask the Extremists and the one backing them up."

"They're too quiet. Like they're planning something."

"We'll deal with that too."

I looked at my hands. "I wished we could deal with it before it happened. Too bad we don't have a mole this time."

"I'm not going to put you in danger," he said.

I giggled. "No, I don't want to be a mole this time. Trust me."

"I'm glad to know you're not so reckless anymore?"

"Anymore? What?"

He gave me a look. "You hit a feeding vampire with a book. Met your childhood psycho ex by yourself. Need I go on?"

"Well, I don't think that's a fair comparison," I muttered, feeling my face warm.

"They're the same thing."

"One I did to you. The other I did for you."

He sighed. "I wasn't very good, was I?"

I kissed his cheek. "You weren't, but you matured. I think you realized there was another way to get what you wanted."

"You ready for tomorrow?"

My stomach clenched. "Um."

He laughed. "I'm not sure how to take that."

I covered my face. "It's not like that," I groaned. "I'm so nervous. What if I make a mistake? What if no one shows up?"

"I'm Alexander Rothchester," he said. "I'm the Crown Prince. Everyone will show up. Even if those old fossils don't like me right now, they'll be there."

"I don't know all the vassals' names. I've been studying with Mr. Adams, but I don't think I've retained everything."

"I'll be there," he said. "I'll tell you their names."