Around the dinner table

I slept well into the morning. When I woke, it was half past eleven. I turned and saw the other side of the bed empty. There was a note on the pillow. Half asleep, I smiled and opened the letter.

'Get some rest. I'll return later.'

Sighing, I rolled over on my back.

Rest.

I thought back to the last night. There was no way I could rest today. Possibly the biggest scandal - well, the second biggest scandal - was going on right now. I didn't have the luxury of resting.

After a quick shower, I dressed and had one of the attendants bring me a laptop. It didn't take long to figure out what was happening.

The leak was all over the news. A huge-scale conference was held at the hotel from dawn. It had ended only an hour ago, but the reporters were still in the lobby.

The attendant said I was not to go downstairs for anything. Anything I needed would be brought to me. My parents enjoyed the spa and pool area with no reservation.

Most news outlets focused on the leak and what that meant. The conversation revolved around whether the royal family had lied or not. The forums were buzzing with keyboard warriors and conspiracy theorists.

Despite the overwhelming news coverage of the leak, a handful had pictures of me and Alexander dancing. The photos were sweet. We looked like a good couple. I caught myself looking at the photos more often than trying to track down where the leak had come from. There weren't many who had access to Dr. Daniels's logs. It had to be someone with high-level clearance. While this wasn't my job, per se, I needed to do something.

How could Alexander confine me to the floor? I shouldn't be hiding.

Breakfast and lunch were brought to the room. They were all dishes I enjoyed eating. Bitterly, I ate the cheese broccoli soup. Alexander was taking care of me, but I wasn't taking care of him.

As I ate, I compiled a list of suspects who had access to the information. Was I going to show this to Noah? Maybe but I needed not to feel so useless. I put all the royal family's names on the list and mine. There was the mafia, but there were many members of the mafia. It could have been any one of them. I knew of Camellia, but putting her name down might not be the best idea. I didn't want to explain my connection to the mafia. Besides, I was sure I still owed a debt to them.

Biting my lip, I sent a message to Camellia. My message, however, didn't go through.

Well, that wasn't good. She could be in trouble for continuing to dig.

Sighing, I put my phone down. Maybe I should talk to Noah about it. He was in charge of the investigation. Plus, it wouldn't be so weird if I was interested in how the investigation was going. He would understand.

Convincing myself of that, I sent Noah a message. I didn't get a reply.

I tuned into the news station's websites. They were having a discussion on the show with doctors and scientists as guest stars. Everyone did jump on the bandwagon to discuss their opinions without any facts.

"It has to be a hoax," one of them said. "No magical solution can change someone's innate nature."

"It can be considered like hormone therapy."

"We know vampires can alter their bodies way beyond what humans can. This is another one of those times. We have to look at what caused this transformation. An experiment?"

As I went from website to website, there were just pure speculations. There was nothing useful. I sent my suspicions to Noah in an email. He might not need it, but maybe it would help him.