Awakened

The ceiling gradually came into view. The lights were bright. As I lay there, everything was so clear. People's voices vibrated in my ear like they were standing right next to me. I could tell that my parents had coffee this morning and mom had used her favorite shampoo.

I turned my head. Mom dozed off in the chair beside me. When I focused on her, I could see the small fabric pulls on her shirt. Dad was nearby. Looking around the room, I didn't see him. I looked past my mom and spotted him outside the hallway.

"How is she?" I heard Caleb's voice on the phone.

"She hasn't woken up yet," Dad replied.

A little girl cried over the phone. Even Ian's voice was loud and clear.

"No, you can't put a fork in your mouth," he said.

I looked up at the ceiling. Since when had I been able to see or hear so clearly? Even as I lay there, I knew something had changed. My heart was slow but still beating. I lifted my arm. It was very light. I didn't feel weak at all. Dr. Daniels's treatment had worked. Or at least, that was my first impression. I wouldn't know until he examined me.

"Mom?" I called out.

Mom woke with a start. As soon as she saw me, her face lit up with a large smile.

"Rin! John! Come here, she's awake!"

She didn't stop her tears from overflowing. "Hello, sweetie," she sobbed. "How are you feeling?"

Dad rushed into the room, cell phone in hand.

I smiled at them. "I'm good," I told her.

"I-I'll go get the doctor," Dad stammered out.

He dashed out of the room.

Mom covered her face with both hands sobbing. Watching her, I felt guilty. I hated how much I'd put them through.

I sat up and rubbed her back. "I'm okay now," I said. "I feel better."

Mom nodded. "I'm so happy," she whispered. "I didn't know - we didn't know when you would wake up." She wiped her tears. "After Dr. Daniels finished treatment he said all we had to do was wait."

"How long was I out for?" I asked.

Mom hesitated. "A week?" she said, unsure. "There were times when you were awake and would scream."

I frowned. "I don't remember any of that," I confessed.

"Not the fondest moments," Mom said, "but at least you're awake now."

A few minutes later, Dad and Dr. Daniels walked in. Dr. Daniels was all business as soon as he saw me. He checked my pulse, and blood pressure, and drew blood for testing.

"How are you feeling?" he asked. "Any weakness?"

I shook my head. "No," I said. "I feel great."

"Anything out of the ordinary?" he asked.

I looked down at my hands. "I, uh, I hear better," I whispered. "I can see and smell better than I ever could." I glanced at him. "I can tell more vampires are working at this hospital than humans."

Dr. Daniels's expression never changed. "Yes," he said. "It would seem your body had adapted to the treatment."

"What does that mean?" Dad asked. "Do we have to watch out for anything?"

"Once I get back her results," Dr. Daniel said, "I'll be able to give you a more confident answer."

"What's the not confident answer?" Mom asked.