Auction (Part 1)

Unfortunately, Alexa­nder didn't get back to me with information about his mother. In truth, I wasn't all too eager to meet her. I didn't even know what I would say? Would she like me? However, that was the least of my worries. All too soon the bidding event was upon us. As it turned out, I could hold Alexander's papers.

Violet coached me through the etiquette. While I wasn't going to talk, I did need to act like I belonged there. I had to make sure I was at an appropriate distance from Alexander and needed to know how to greet the different type of people I would come across.

When I arrived at the venue, I go cleared by security and had to wear a badge at all times. I spotted some reporters outside but didn't see any of them inside. Alexander had mentioned the results would be reported after the event. For the sake of privacy, there wouldn't be any reporters on the actual event. At most, there would be 100 to 200 guests. Small scale from the usual Royal event.

Alexander was already at the venue and I texted him once I was inside. Small stairs lead up to a marble hallway. There were double doors just across from me. That was probably the actual event hall.

"Miss Borek?"

I turned and saw a man with a light colored suit walking towards me.

"I'm Marco, the event manager. Let's get you all dolled-up. Lady Violet is getting ready."

We walked at a brisk paced and took the elevator up to the second floor. He took me to the last room at the end of the hall, knocked before entering.

The private room was small and was attached to another room. There was a clothes rack with various dresses, and a vanity set.

A large woman walked out of the second room. "You're here," she said. "I'm Jayla. I'll be your stylist today. Let's get you into your robe and get started."

Marco left me in her care. Everything took two or so hours for me to be ready. Granted I hadn't kept track of time. I was too nervous to do anything. Jayla did my make-up (natural for you, she told me) before working on my hair. She straightened my hair, curled it at the ends, and finished it off with hairspray.

After that, she helped me into my pencil dress and gave me jewelry to wear. I wouldn't wear the heels until I was ready to step out of the room.

In the other room, as I found out, Violet was occupying it. Jayla returned to her and I was left alone. Feeling cold, I wiped my hands on my robe. Almost half an hour later, Violet walked out with her golden gown. Her hair was pulled up with braids and I might have seen some beads in her hair. Three stylist walked behind her.

"You clean up well," she told me.

"Thanks. You look amazing."

She twirled. "I do, don't I?"

A few minutes later, there was a knock on the door and Marco entered.

"Ten minutes," he announced.

"How are we looking?" Violet asked.