My Brain Hurts

We decided to stay in bed, cuddling. Alexander needed to be comforted and at the same time, I wanted him to know I was there for him. The distance was the hardest part. We've been able to see each whenever before but now it was different. Everything kept turning out wrong.

"When were you going to tell me you had siblings?" I casually asked.

If anything, I wanted to keep him distracted. Keep him talking.

"The King has ten wives," he said. "Do you seriously believe he wouldn't have more than one child?"

Okay. Fair. I rested my cheek on his head. "I never paid attention," I admitted. "Maybe deep down I didn't want to know anything about vampires." I shrugged. "I know it's not an excuse."

"It's somewhat our fault," Alexander said. "We don't publicize a lot of information and my siblings aren't talked about. Plus, I've been hogging all the attention."

"I'm going to need a family tree to study," I said. "Maybe get some tutors."

"I can arrange that," he said. "But I would suggest to wait until the summer. I'm sure graduating and having an internship is more than enough right now."

"Can you read my mind?"

He chuckled. "No, I'm feeling it too."

I squeezed him.

"So, what do you want to know about them?"

"Where do they live? How many are there?"

Alexander snuggled closer. "That's a lot of questions."

"I need answers."

He chuckled and his breath tickled my ear.

"Second wife had two kids. The next four had one each. The other three had two. Violet has one. You met him, Noah. Oh, and my mother only had me."

"You didn't say their names."

"Privacy," he explained. "All of them had their time in the spotlight and they withdrew at their own free will."

"No one else wanted the throne?"

"They did. I just beat them. A few of them didn't want this sort of lives so they're living with their families." He shrugged. "We don't talk much."

"But the others?"

"Dad granted them positions of power and they seem happy with that. They're in other countries from what I heard."

"How didn't they dethrone you with an the stuff you did?"

"Honestly? I have no clue. I think they probably didn't want the stress."

"And Noah?"

"He's young," Alexander confessed. "Used to follow Dad around a lot. He was at school but he got called home." He sh­rugged. "I don't know all the details. They didn't tell me."

"I can't believe Violet has a kid. When you think about it, it's obvious but then it's not? She didn't say anything."

"We like to keep our lives private."

I bit my lip. "What exactly did Dr. Daniels say?"

Alexander sighed and rolled away. I sat up.

"Rin," he began.

"What did he say?"

"My abilities are being suppressed. He's hoping to use my dad's blood to wake them up again."

"See? That doesn't sound bad."

"Rin, we've been over this. I don't want to have the same conversation over and over again."