Theory

Trevor lead me down the hallway. My stomach clenched. I shouldn't have eaten so much. We turned the corner and a few steps later, Trevor knocked. We only had to wait for a few moments before entering. The room was nice and cozy as an examination room could get.

Dr. Daniels, as I later found out, was a tall man with a beard. He was also very gentle looking too as if he wouldn't hurt a fly.

"Please come in, Miss Borek," he said. "Have a seat."

Alexander sat on the exam table and there was a visitor chair beside it. I sat in it. There were only three of us in the room.

"It's nice to meet you," I said, "but why am I here exactly?"

"I'll get straight to the point," Dr. Daniels said. "I'll tell you the same thing I told Prince Rothchester. He's 100% human at this moment."

My heart lurched. That wasn't exactly news but the way he said it, it was very definitive.

"However," he continued. "It's temporary."

"You sure?" I asked.

"I'll have to wait for the blood results to be for certain," Dr. Daniels replied. "But in layman's terms, something has caused your cells to lose power. They've become dormant. It's also the only explanation I can think of. In the decades I've served the Royal family, I have never seen anything like this before."

"You sound so certain," I muttered.

"Comes with experience," he said. "I will need a sample of your blood to confirm my theory."

I frowned. So, he was spewing this out without a piece of actual evidence. He didn't even have the blood results yet and he talked as if he was certain. Then again, he was the one who examined Alexander when he was shot.

"What theory?" I dared ask.

"Whoever shot Prince Rothchester, did it not to kill him but to inject something in him. It'll have been the only way to pull this off. What we thought of an assassination attempt was perhaps a disguise to this."

"A drug to turn him human?" I asked.

"Yes," Dr. Daniels replied. "You were the only person in contact with him when it happened. I suspect the drug might have gotten into you. This is why I would like to take a blood sample."

It made sense, sort of. The chain of events made sense and the reason why they would turn Alexander human, also made sense. But what didn't make sense was for Dr. Daniels to be so sure without evidence. He was just jumping to conclusions.

"Miss Borek?" Dr. Daniels prompt.

"Hmm? Oh, yes. That's fine."

I glanced at Alexander as Dr. Daniels got his equipment. He hadn't spoken since I walked in. Then again, being turned into a human was a shock to anyone's system.

It was mind-boggling. Whoever shot Alexander used that as a cover-up to turn him human. This sounded like a plot to a spy movie or something. But, it made sense too. I doubt anyone had bothered to ask themselves why Alexander was shot (apart from obvious reasons) and was more focused on the fact that he did get shot. It was also probably the reason why the news wasn't covering the incident every night.

I understood not wanting anyone to panic. The most secured place was broken into and a royal family member was shot. I wondered if they had looked at an inside job. I would have to ask Alexander if he knew of anything.

"All done," Dr. Daniels said.

I blinked down at my arm. There was a band-aid on it. So, vampires were better at drawing blood. Maybe I could have my mom change my doctor.