Insight

In the last few minutes we had for lunch, Brissa, Amber, and Sandra helped me pick out the style of invitations, and programs, and save the date cards. They were cute little things with gold trimmings and royal blue background. The colors were up to debate but at least we had gotten this started. I needed to talk to the venue people about the date and time of the event.

If Alexander's mom doesn't approve, that will probably not happen anything soon. The thought made me pause. Would she stop us from being together? My stomach squeezed. Think good thoughts, I told myself.

I met Joseph outside the school and gave him the direction to the art studio. Luckily, it was my day off from my internship but that didn't matter. I still had a lot of work to do. On the ride over, I sent Alexander the tentative designs for the invitations and everything else before starting on some of my classwork. To think school work was the only consistency in my life right now.

" . . . The terrorists who attacked the embassy are still at large. At the moment, the royal family and local law enforcement have not commented on the investigation . . . "

Ever since the release of the last video of a vampire turning into a human, there hadn't been a peep from the extremists. Alexander was stuck at his house due to security reasons and it was a miracle they were letting him visit his mom.

My phone suddenly beeped. It was a message from an unknown sender. Feeling my heart speed up, I opened the message.

'Pick me up at this address,' and below the words was a cat. Then, 'P.S. don't forget we went to the ball together.'

It was from Camelia. I wondered what she wanted to talk about. Well, I did have a few thoughts. I gave Joseph the address. Luckily, it wasn't a terrible detour. We stopped outside a café and moments later, Camelia slid in beside me. As Joseph headed back to the main street, Camelia handed me a brown baggie.

"Here," she said. "I got you a snack. I know you've been busy."

Rolling my eyes, I took it from her. This was another to tell me she was keeping an eye on me. Opening the bag, there was a bagel with strawberry cream cheese and it was warm.

"Thanks," I muttered. "It's not poisoned is it?"

"I would never poison you," Camelia replied. "If you don't want it, you don't have to eat it."

My mouth watered looking at it. At least Camelia hadn't lied to me yet. I took a bite out of it and hoped I didn't die in the next five minutes.

"So, the reason I asked for you to pick me up," she began.

"What do you want?" I mumbled.

"I'm here to pass on information," she said. "There's been a lot of contradicting orders and I'm not allowed to reveal anything to official members of the royal family. Seeing how you aren't one yet, I'm not breaking the rules."

I frowned. "Thanks?"

"To put it simply, we haven't found any traces of the extremists."

This time I looked at her. "What? The Mafia can't find them?"

She shook her head. "They've slipped under our radar. Sure the King has his own looking into them but we started as soon as we realized what happened to the Crown Prince and that video, of course."

"Seems like someone is hiding them," I said. "Not to mention they're familiar with how the Mafia works."

She paused, looking at me strangely.

"Yes," she said. "My thoughts exactly. I tried bringing this up to my superiors but they quickly dismissed it."

"They know something."